Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Pics of steps to protect 20+ year old Med Fan Palm, zone 4

arctictropical
13 years ago

This palm is my oldest. It's been outside for over 18 years. I planted it outside as a one gallon potted plant.

Here's a picture from last winter of the boxes covering the Med. fan palms.

Comments (12)

• threas
    13 years ago

Amazing, Kevin! How tall is that old guy?

Theresa

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Beautiful Med fan palm! Did it ever pup for you? The crown on yours is much nicer than most of the Med palms I have seen in the southeast!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• wxman81
    13 years ago

Question...how do you pull the fronds up? I see they are tied with rope, but how do you get them all pulled up to tie them off? My trachy is getting larger and I had been just grabbing the petioles in my hand, but next year there will be too many and they will be too large around to grab like that.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

How are your Abyssinian doing this year?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi.

Other than surrounded by plastic, what else do you use.? Is it styrophone? What else is inside that tent with the plants? Do you mound straw or leaves or mulch around the base? What is your source of heat in there?

I say marvelous to you and fantastic work along with a HUGE thanks for sharing with us..

Mike

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Hi Artic,

Great enclosure. It must be styrophone insulation that works best?

I planning on using some this year. My neigbor is throwing out some pieces I can use.

Hope this winter is not bad, but it seems like a strong winter creeping up on us. It sleeted today which is rare for us in early November.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay in replying guys....

Theresa, it is 6' tall after being outside for 18 years. Very slow growing.

Alex, it puts out pups all of the time. I cut them off, since I want the trunk to be visible.

Wxman81, I attach plastic twine to a frond, and pull it straight through to the other side of the palm, wrap in around an opposite frond, and pull them both up towards the crown. This is repeated several times, so that the fronds opposite each other are pulled up to the middle.

Jim, the Abyssinians did well this year, but not as good as last year, since we had a cooler summer, and I did not fertilize them as much. However, they all have quite a large "trunk". I repotted them all into 15 gallon pots, cut them off to get them in the door, and they are now downstairs in an unheated, unlit storage room in the basement.

Mike and Brooklyngreg, the boxes are made of 2" thick blue board Styrofoam insulation. This works great. There is nothing inside whatsoever, such as mulch or leaves. Just air. The source of heat is 3 screw-in florescent light bulbs at the top. That's it!

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

arctictropical I know I say this every year but thank you very much for the bullet proof protection method. My palms also thank you, this is gonna be the 3rd year I use your method. Thank you thank you thank you

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Kevin, thanks for sharing your technique on how to overwinter palms. Its admittedly impressive!!

I live in WA state and plan on putting a mango or lychee tree in the ground and will use your winter protection method, plus rope lights.

Thank you for sharing this very unique and fantastic overwintering idea!

-Bo

• protempsfish
    13 years ago

Nice job Kevin! So you keep the flouresent light on 24/7? Obviously you know what you are doing as your palms look beautiful, but I wonder if in fact you keep the lights on all the time, if it has any effect on the palm. I know they effectively go 'dormant' so to speak over the winter but do you get any new fronds when you take off the box in the spring?

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good luck Mike and Bo. Bo, I'm considering putting a hardy mandarin orange tree outside under one of these boxes. Protempsfish, yes, I keep the florescent lights on 24/7. I can't tell whether or not they put out new fronds, but every year when I take off the box on the tall Windmill palm in Spring, it's always in full bloom. By the way, we've already had -17 F., back in November. It was below zero last night, and is below zero now at 10:55 PM.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Kevin,

Great job on the palms!!!

I always enjoy seeing your pictures...you are so creative and successful with your protection techniques...

We always learn form you and your pics...thanks!!!

How are your plumies?

I have a Celadine and Wizard blooming under the new T-5 lights...but have some critters on my DR... trying to figure out this new system...but i'm happy with it so far!!

Merry CHristmas to you!!!

Hi Bo...my NBC is looking great...I'll take pics soon..TKS

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB