Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Caring for my windmill palm.

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

This summer my dear friend Laura sent me a Windmill palm. I was thrilled to receive this. I had told her that I was going to buy one here in NY but she didn't want me to pay the outrageous price for it.

The Windmill I believe came in a 5 gal pot. I moved it up to a 10 gal pot about 2 months later, and now I am seeing roots that are growing in the drainage holes. I have to say I am amazed that this palm has grown so much since receiving it!

Laura told me that I could plant it out and protect it, or I could keep it indoors over the winter. I chose the second option. I was worried that if I planted it outdoors, I could lose it. I would much rather keep it potted until it becomes too large to move it easily in and out every year.

I have been feeding it a time release fert(Miracle Gro) at half strength every month or so, and it has just grown like a beast!!!

Do you all have any other suggestions for me or should I just keep doing what I am doing? I have a 600 watt HPS light but I really don't have space for it under there. What light requirements does it have? Would it be ok with 4-6 hours of bright indirect light or is that not sufficient.

Considering that it was a gift from a good friend of mine, I really want to keep this palm going.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you have!

Andrew

Comments (3)