Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm ID help

Posted by blackberg none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 3:13

Hi all!

I need some help IDing this palm. It grew by itself, along the fence line. It was getting to big and we removed over the weekend and placed it in a 24" box. I t is growing relatively fast and is gaining girth.

here are some pics

thanks for any help.

I want to get name plates for all my palms, and this is the only unknown right now.

thanks again
-bb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm ID help

It's a phoenix of some sort (date). That's all i know. My guess is dactylifera.

o

If it grew by itself then mother is nearby. Find out what mother is.

o

There are no palms immediately around it, closest ones are a couple of blocks away, the house is on a corner, and we do get all sorts of birds, so it could have come that way
-bb

o

Phoenix canariensis. Where i'm from those guys pop up like weeds everywhere, especially on a well watered lawn with a fence to protect it from the mower.

o

I was thinking it was phoenix.
I am hoping it is canariensis, but dactylifera is good too.

I know it will get a little sad in the near future beacuse of the transplant, but hopefully it recovers fast and keep growing at the pace it was,

and once I have a better idea of what it is an how big it will get it can go back in the ground, asap

-bb

o

Phoenix hybridise very readily, so you might have a bit of a mixture there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here