Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
underplanting

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 4:59

Hi
With almost superhuman effort and the donation of a pot and labor by a neighbor ,have repotted my largest Bottle
Any suggestions on what to underplant it with?? needs some interest at the base . Have used lantana but don't like the color Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: underplanting

How about some red sedum? The dark red would make that trunk pop.

o

Hi
Sounds like a good idea!!! Would not get tall and wwould creep over the sides had another suggestion of another sedum Sun rose really nice in the variagated form Thanks gary

o

Bromeliads would really add some nice color. In full sun, Neoregelia "Fireball" can turn an intense red color and they would hang nicely out of the planter. The Sedums sound nice too!
-Alex

o

Hi
If it were in the ground I wouldn't hesitate with the broms but in a pot I'm concerned with root rot and of course don't want to hide the "bottle lol.
I think I may have hit the limit on pot size . Made the dolly as low as possible and it's still pushing 10 feet , The pot held almost 5 cubic feet of media . Will have to come up wuith some kind of brake as the wind has moved it and it's been under 25 , and I'd bet it weighs at least 300 pounds . Can't wait for a hurricane lol Thanks gary

o

I woulds plant purple queen. Its low growing and hard to kill.

o

Yeah it looks like a land sailboat. You might have to invest in a forklift :P

o

Hi
Was opposed to putiing it in a pot but got the pot and labor for free lol Only place left with full sun is the patio ,reason I put it on casters.
I grew these from seed and are over 20 years old .
Still have 5 others if anyone is interested gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here