Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of palm is this?

Posted by Hazey_Matt victoria, AU (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 6:02

Hello, I have these palm in my backyard and we are currently redoing the landscaping.
i would like to get a third palm to go with these two but as they were in the house when we moved in, im not sure what type of palm they are.
Ive been told Alexandra, Bangalow and Royal Palm.
So im kinda confused lol.
Any help would be great, ive attached a photo hope its good enough

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of palm is this?

another photo

o

Looks like a Florida Royal Palm

o

not very good photos but from I can tell, they look like Archontophoenix alexandrae palms.

o

sorry for the bad photos hopefully this is a bit better.

o

i agree with Archontophoenix alexandrae. looks like a fun landscaping project!

o

I agree, definitely Archontophoenix alexandrae. They are beautiful palms and it should look really nice when all your landscaping is finished!
-Alex

o

Thanks alot. It definitely looks like an Archontophoenix alexandrae.
The People at the nearest nursery that sell Palms said to me its definitely a Bangalow but then a landscaper told me it was either an alexandra or royal and the nursery was just trying to sell me a palm lol.

o

The Bangalows don't usually have that swelling at the base of the trunk like Alexanders do. I doubt it would happen in Melbourne, but if you get flowering the Bangalows are a purple and the Alexanders a white/cream colour. Many people would assume the Bangalow to be more cold tolerant and therefore more likely where you are, and that's probably what happened with the nursery.

o

It looks like an Alexander palm, but there are several
types in the Archontophoenix palms. It could also be
an Archontophoenix Myloensis or an Archontophoenix
Maxima. I have small ones of these in my yard in
zone 9b Sarasota Florida.

o

It has the form of Alex palm..but I don't see a lick of silver underneath the fronds. Could be A.tuckeri or a hybrid of Alex and a Bangalow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here