Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayc388

unhealthy young palm :(

ayc388
12 years ago

Hello! First off this is my first post here, but i've done a great deal of reading through the forums for research. Seemed like a good place to get help!

I have recently planted a 3 foot coconut palm that I received as a gift that seemed pretty healthy to me. There was a bit of browning on the fronds but that seemed like it might be a normal side effect of being out of the ground for a week. I put it in a large pot with a 50/50 sand/soil mix and believe that I planted it correctly. It lives indoors with low-medium humidity between 75-85 degrees. In 50-75% shade.

Recently, some of the fronds have started to yellow and turn brown and are curling a little bit.

I have done research that points to several different types of mineral deficiencies. However, I also have read that it might not be safe to introduce a palm to fertilizers when it is too small. I don't really know the approximate age of the little guy, other than the fact that the apparent 'trunk' is about 6 inches tall from the soil, and the tallest frond reaches about 3 feet.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone would have for me.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Can you post a pic? That would help out alot.
    The 50/50 mix shouldn't be bad. They grow healthy all the time on beaches in pure sand. I planted mine in 90% beach sand and so far so good. Your palm sounds like it should be old enough to fertilize... How much are you watering it? It will be much happier if it gets more sunlight as well.

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im not sure what the problem could be. Possibly not enough, or too much water. They can handle drought pretty well when established, but they can dry up very fast when not established.
    Pics would help a lot!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• ayc388
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a link to a few pictures. Also, I water it once every few days, and I put about a liter of water in. I have no idea if this is too little or too much. Thank you for your responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• us_marine
    12 years ago

I just took a look at the pics. Not sure whats really going on there. It could be one of a few different things.

To be on the safe side check the under sides of the fronds and check for spider mites.Signs would be tiny bugs you can barely see, and spider like webs. You can get rid of them by heavily misting your palm a few times a day. Coconut palms also liked to be misted.

Another interesting thing I noticed is the fronds almost look as if they got sun burned. But I dont think so being in that much shade. Which makes me think bugs are the cause of this. When you got this palm, how green were the fronds, and were they drooping? Also was it already in a container?
    So far I havn't really experienced nutrient deficiencies that I can see. Unless my palm should have greener fronds. But I'm sure the 50/50 mix you planted yours in should contain enough nutrients for now to keep that from happening. But I would buy some palm fertilizer and apply a small ammount just in case. If its not that, the nutrients can always benefit your palm later.

The watering might be the issue. If it is, thats not a good sign. Your palm may be getting root rot. Coconut palms are very fussy when it comes to watering and cool room temps. How often are temps in the high 70fs and low 80fs? I would watch the watering while the palms inside for winter. Usually its best not to water in winter at all unless its like only once or so and the soil is dry and you let it completely dry out again before watering.

I hope this helped. Good luck and keep us updated. Also welcome to the forums :)

- US_Marine