Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Pritchardia hildebrandtii--easy 'exotic'

User
13 years ago

Took this picture of my Pritchardia today before it goes into its shelter for the winter. This palm is not only beautiful, but it really is no more difficult than the more commonly grown Chinese fan (Livistona chinensis)--it does need quite a bit of space though. I've tried P. pacifica a few times but no luck. This one is easy by comparison. This one was purchased as a tiny specimen off of eBay a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• us_marine
    13 years ago

Nice looking palm! Do you know how hardy they are?

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Beautiful palm! I saw tons of them in Hawaii and they really do look beautiful. Apparently some people have luck with them in So Cal so us marine, you might be able to grow them with no more then water during the summer, an area that gets afternoon shade during the summer, and maybe some cold protection if it gets below the upper 20s. They are supposed to be cold hardy to 25F making them great palms for many areas of California, and Im sure they would do great in Central and Southern Florida as well.

Thanks for sharing!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

Most Pritchardias fair 'ok' here in Southern California, though a few seems a bit too fastidious. They are a lot slower here than in Hawaii, but they are not that difficult a palm to grow. They just don't tend to do well in full sun as they do in Hawaii, and I think that slows them down a lot. They do NOT like dry heat, nor cold much below 28F (though it usually does not kill them outright, it does leaf damage). I have a few species in my yard, but I find these take up a lot of room and can be difficult in landscapes where room is limited. Very user-friendly palms, though (no sharp edges, really, save some petioles have moderately sharp edges of you run across them wrong). And they grow a nice lime green color. P hildebrandtii does not stand out as exceptionally easy, but it is cheap and commonly available, which is why it is one of the more commonly grown species- probaby the most commonly grown in my area of So California.

• us_marine
    13 years ago

Thanks! Just trying to think of palms to add to my collection. I dont really have much yet. I try to get only edible trees and plants.lol

• cfa_li
    13 years ago

Very beautiful Palm, I love the color too (Lime Green is my favorite color).

It looks like a Washingtonia mixed with a Coconut.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It has since been placed in its winter shelter--along with all the hardier palms and citrus. This Saturday, I have to move the remaining containerized palms into my garage/greenhouse. Still have out Queens, Med fans, Phoenix dates, Washingtonias, Sabals, and a Butia. The Sago cycads are the last to go in and first to come out--early March.

• hatemajestypalms
    11 years ago

Can you grow pritchardia Hillebrandtii indoors while the house is set at 72F, with a south facing window, maybe a humidifier,what I mean is the one I'm using just broke and i might not find the right time to buy another.I would also summer it outdoors to. Is it possible and not as hard as growing a Cyrtostachys or a licuala grandis? I will probably end up purchasing 2 seedlings on eBay, so I would like to know what it's needs are before I start assuming.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Easy palm that is no more difficult than a Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan palm). Mine overwinters in a basement under florescent. I don't use any humidify but assume it is not too dry down there. Seems to handle ocassional drought well too and insects don't seem to be drawn to it. It does spent several months outside. I do protect it from the hottest sun outside, though dappled direct is fine. Not really much else to say. They really don't need codling. One issue though is that they are big palms and this one is likely to eventually outgrow your largest container. Should be more commonly available in northern nurseries but it is not.

• hatemajestypalms
    10 years ago

What about the Pritchardia Glabrata? Is it as easy to keep indoors as this one? It bottoms out smaller than this one here and thats what im looking for.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure about that species. I do know, not all Pritchardias are equally easy in the house or as indoor/outdoor plants. I have tried the Fiji island species (P. pacifica) twice w.o. success. Hildebrandii is a big plant though!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by njoasis on Tue, May 28, 13 at 17:44

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

A number of the Hawaiian Pritchardias can take cooler temps, I'm pretty sure hildebrandtii is one. Pacifica (Fijian) is definitely not one, although they are otherwise quite a tough plant in the tropics. Glabrata is a very small growing one. Going by its native habitat, it should be fairly cool tolerant as well. But it probably does want higher humidity.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES