Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Hardy palm progress, 2003-2006

JohnnieB
17 years ago

Here is how my waggies (Trachycarpus wagnerianus) looked in September 2003 (this was their second growing season in the ground but I apparently didn't take any photos of them in 2002):

2003-2004 was a cold winter and they suffered quite a bit of damage; here is how they looked in April 2004 after I had trimmed off the most damaged leaves:

I wasn't sure if they would recover, but the spears didn't pull, and they had put out quite a bit of new growth by October 2004 (the larger palm on the right is a T. fortunei "Taylor", planted in early summer 2004):

2004-2005 was another cold winter; here is how they loooked in March 2005, showing the damage they suffered (the middle waggie was protected with an overturned plastic pot; the other palms received no protection except for a heavy leaf mulch):

By November 2005 they had recovered nicely (note especially how much the T. fortunei grew!):

And this photo is November 2006, taken less than an hour ago; the palms have done better than I ever imagined, and have reached the point where they are crowding each other out and I will have to transplant a couple of the waggies next spring:

For a slideshow starting with a picture of the palms as they look today, followed by a series of photos showing their progress from 2003 to the present (and including a special bonus slideshow at the end) click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm progress slideshow

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus