Pictures of this years tropicals and comparison to spring photos

statenislandpalm7a
13 years ago

The blue level used for scale is 4 feet tall

my biggest canna

the front pathway in the spring around may-june

The pathway today november 6

cactus spring

cactus fall (i removed most of the regular opuntia)

Bannana spring

Bannana fall

Giant reed spring

Giant reed fall

spring side yard

fall side yard

some more fall pics

canna flower

agave

majesty palm

biggest castor bean

side view

yucca

pic from august of alocasia

stuff i already took inside cordyline papaya and alocasia

after i cut everything down i will show comparison photos of the palms

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Awesome looking yard!! Thanks for the update! What kind of cannas are those. Im bought omega and intrigue in Late august to put in the ground this spring. They havent grown much so Im hoping that when spring comes they do actually grow and they dont sit there and wither away. The cactus, Majesty palm, Dioons, Norfolk Island pine, and everything else, all look really healthy!
    What are your plans for the Dioons once they go indoors? I just took mine inside today into the garage. It very very rarely goes below freezing (I think only 2 times in the last 10 years), but there isnt any sun and it is cold. Im trying to prevent it from flushing until spring because my sago palm has a terrible habit of flushing when indoors (even in bad conditions).
    Good luck! Hopefully there wont be a frost tonight!!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The canna is canna musofolia its the red version mine is over 8 feet tall. The dioones will go in once it gets below freezing they will stay in the garage i did this last year and it worked. I saw you repotted it with such a big pot only water it once for the winter

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Very nice!

Your Cannas caught up!(-:

Someones going to have a hard tome delivering the mail soon-LOL

What kind of Banana is that?

It looks exactly like the one I had flower this year!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

That canna is definitely on my wish list for plants next year! They dont seem to be heavy bloomers, but the foliage makes up for it a 1000 times! I dont plan on watering my dioon at all this winter because it is so wet from all the rain and mostly clouds that have been around lately. Maybe Ill water it once or twice right before it goes outside in March to get it in grow mode again!

Is that a castor bean to the left of the banana? I have been seeing tons of them around here this year (mostly the purple ones) and they are all HUGE. I think Im going to grow that next year, but I also bought a Hibiscus acetosella 'Red Shield' which is suppose to look a lot like a castor bean, only with flowers! I hope that it survives indoors and grows well outside next year!

Good luck!
    -Alex

• threas
    13 years ago

Wow! Beautiful yard and house! Love all your tropicals! Thanks for sharing.
    So where do you guys get your palms and cycads?

Theresa

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got most of the palms on ebay and online nurseries. You cant see the palms in the jungle. I bought some of them at local stores.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Really beautiful yard and stone house. That's some tropical look!