Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closed up my Windmill Palms today!

Posted by wxman81 5b, SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 17:22

Well I bit the bullet and decided to protect my two trachys today. It was partly cloudy most of the day and mid 50s, so perfect protecting weather in a t-shirt. Could get some snow Sunday and then even colder weather next week ... BLAH ... well I guess it is December next week, so I knew this was eventually coming. I did something different this year ... I took a photo documentation of closing them up in case anyone else is interested in my method. Also, this year I converted my boxes into four panels each which will make assembly easier as they get taller ... no lifting a 12 foot box over the top, lol.

Ok, here they are before I started.

Photobucket

Photobucket

First, I cleared all the rocks away to get a smooth surface.

Photobucket

Then, I tied them up using big zipties ... these are found in the heating and air conditioning aisle at Home Depot ... used for connecting flexible ductwork to hard duct.

Photobucket

Next, I built three sides of the enclosure and placed the electric heaters. The first enclosure is 8 feet tall and the second is 6 feet tall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, I fastened the styrofoam to each side except a portion of the south side to let sun in. Also, shoveled stones around the enclosures to close any air gaps at the bottom.

Photobucket

New addition this winter is a window in each enclosure. This will make venting easier on the warmer days and also allow for quick and easy inspection. Lots of palm in there! :)

Photobucket

Hopefully I can get these off in mid March. Took me 6 hours from start to finish, so about 3 hours per palm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closed up my Windmill Palms today!

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 22:16

Those are amazing!!...Great idea!!

o
RE: Closed up my Windmill Palms today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here