Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washingtonia Palm Problem - Please Help!

Posted by jax_lexa North Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 17:26

Hi,

Our 3 palm trees have been planted for about 3 months. Initially they were tied up for 30 days and didn't look very good. We were convinced that it was from transplant shock. Once we took the ropes off, and trimmed dead branches, the trees look just fine for about 2-3 weeks. We watered first month every day for about 20 min, sprinkler system. Second and third month the sprinklers have been running 3 days a week. I got some palm tree fertilizer (5 lbs. container) and sprinkled at the base of each tree about 2 weeks ago but the trees seem to get worse. I checked the soil and it is moist. I keep reading online that Washingtonians are desert trees and don't need much water. I'm thinking about turning the water off for a week and see the progress. Also, does it look like my trees are over fertilized?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washingtonia Palm Problem - Please Help!

Some more pics

o

more pics

o

The leaves show the results of damaged roots. In your case it would be transplant shock. Your number one priority is getting your trees to grow a new root system. Only focus on the new leaves that are being produced. Blackened leaf tips that later turn to straw color are signs of too much fertilizer in moist soil. Sometimes burnt spots will appear throughout leaves indicating fertilizer burn in drier soils.

Check your soil. It should be slightly moist for ideal root growth, not wet. I recommend Superthrive to help produce secondary root growth quickly.

o

Thanks stevea07, how often do you recommend using Superthrive?

o

I recommend drenching each tree with a mix of 5-10 gallons every two weeks until your soil temperature drops below 50F.

o

stevea07, Aside from drenching each tree every two weeks, should I turn off sprinkler system completely for the zone with the trees?

o

I think that you should be OK to water by hand held hose or sprinkler once a week since we are now going into the cool season. If you have pure sand, nearly devoid of organic matter under full sun, you may have to water twice per week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here