Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you have a kentia palm and is there a fast growing palm?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Has anyone here ever grown a Kentia Palm plant?

Boy, do they take FOREVER to grow a frod, or leaf, or just grow at all, or is it me?

What the heck. Is there a majic fertilizer that speeds up growth of these palms?

I think most palms are like this personaly, unless they are growing inground in the tropics. By the time I get one of my plams to grow a couple of leafs , I will be long gone and dead, and have to leave it to my beneficiaries in a will!!

Is there such a thing as a houseplant palm that grows rather fast, and please, what is the name of one? where can I buy it? I enjoy seeing new leaves open on these to much to put up with the ones I have.

I would love to enjoy to see one grow instead of look at it like a plastic plant in the corner of my room just looking pretty!!lol

Mike

Comments (10)

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

i have one, and although it is a slow grower, there are many more that are even slower (believe it or not! take Dypsis Decipiens for example). Mine is growing in the ground and it is somewhat slow (three frond the first year and four fronds this year) but i would think that being indoors in a pot would make it slower. I fertilize with the generic palm fertilizers you can find at Home Depot or Lowes.

As for a fast growing palm, i would say Dypsis Lutescens would do the trick. They require a lot more lighting than Kentia though. Washngtonia Robusta is also a fast grower, but it isn't really happy indoors, although many people grow them as houseplants.

Here is a picture of my own kentia. I have had it for two years, but i would like to guess that it is four or five years old from seed. (It is in the lower left hand side underneath the tree fern)
    {{gwi:52535}}

• edbtz
    15 years ago

I have one as a houseplant that typically grows two to three fronds a year. I suppose it grows faster the more light you provide it as an indoor plant.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

Okay,you twisted my arm...My backyard Howea and King palms..and since all were on the same photobucket page,tossed in the neighbors groups of Kings too. The Howea is 16 years old,largest King palm going on five this summer from five gallons.First two in that pot...what a waste of time..darn.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

God!!!! I think not onpy do you have some nice looking palms central_cali369, but my do you have one of the nicest looking ferns I have ever seen. Magnificent!!!
    I wish i could grow plants outdoors like you. Boy I would be in plant heaven!
    And stanofh, WOWOW...That's all I can say....Wow

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Thanks Meyermike_1micha. I really like this tree fern (cyathea cooperi). i bought is two years ago and it was really small (not even 3 feet in diameter). It has grown incredibly fast and now even has a foot of trunk. I really like how these look when the trunk is taller than your head, theres some around town that are at least 15 feet tall! Can't wait until mine reaches that height. Here's a better picture of the tree fern. This picture was taken early this year, and believe it or not it is significantly large now. Each new frond is larger than the ones before. The new fronds right now are over five feet long! Also notice that there is some winter damage on the lower fronds.

{{gwi:1177311}}

• jkrup44
    15 years ago

Washingtonia Robusta is the fastest growing palm I know of. Queen Palms Syagrus R. are also very fast if planted in the right location.

• User
    15 years ago

I guess it's a lot like waiting for water to boil. Kentias are rather slow but steady growers. I keep my outside for the growing season (very bright but protected from afternoon sun). Still on the slower side. Washingtonia robusta is fast as said above but a bit prickly by indoor plant standards. I really like Chamaedorea seifrizii for steady indoor growth among pinnate palms. Good luck!

• davidcf
    15 years ago

Kentias and Rhapis are 2 of the most durable houseplants in existence. I also place mine outdoors under trees during the warm months. The fast growing big box store palms will usually prove disappointing in the house.

• joeladams
    10 years ago

M Hello anyone. Here are my experiences. I live in San Diego, California and after the wild fires destroyed my entire house, I rebuilt and re-landscaped with palm trees. After knowing nothing about those plants and some failures, I now have a palm tree "forest" in my front yard. So...king palms look magnificant in "singles"; avoid washingtonians because in a few years they will too tall to cut/trim. Avoid queen palms because they must be trimmed when they get tall. Windmill palms are trouble free but must be trimmed after they reach 15' high or so. I went to Target garden center and purchased several kentia palms (3 plants in each pot) for $19 each and took them home and very very carefully seperated them individually and planted them outside as understory palms. The first 20 months they grew slowly but didn't burn and were fine. Now the sun doesn't bother them at all and they are growing faster and faster. Kentia palms and king palms grow wonderfully and somewhat fast indoors as house plants. Have them but never over water them. Use palm fertilizer and occasionally fish fertilizer. Beautiful house plants....then move them outside when too large and acclimate them and put them into the ground in your landscaping. A good outdoor palm is the fox tail palm...it also is self
    -cleaning. But good house palms for fast beautiful growth are kentia, king, and cat palms.