Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

palms at end of fall

lzrddr
11 years ago

Just a few shots of some of the garden's palms before the cold weather slows them down... Sadly will be moving soon and most of these will have to stay behind (or someone can try to dig them up)

Comments (17)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chamaedorea adcendens looking good... this one is coming with me (may become an indoor plant)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chamaedorea arenbergiana seedlings don't have a hope of surviving my move (moving to a lower zone... augh!)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this one would like the new climate... but not sure this form of Chamaerops moves that easily...

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chamaedorea plumosa and Sabal mauritiiformis will have to stay I am afraid.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chamaedorea metallica might do great as a house plant, but will never make it outdoors in zone 9a.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

have a lot of Howeas... all will be left behind

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Livistona fulva is looking great... may try to dig this one up and move it... should survive zone 9a.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lytocaryum hoehnei is another rare one I'd like to move, but not sure it has a chance to live in that cold a climate...

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nannorhops should do well there, but I don't think they move well... had to chop of leaves sticking out in the sidewalk... no sidewalks where I'm going.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No way am I going to try to move my Parajubaeas (at least not this big ones.. P sunkha on left and P torrallyi microcarpum on left)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jubaeas are supposed to move easily, so may try digging this one up... (on right)

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Syagrus coronata already survived one big move and it has taken it nearly 7 years to recover... hate to just yank it out again....

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Syagrus schizophyllum is a rare one in California at this size... might try to move this one, too... not sure it will like cold, though.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Beautiful palms! I cant believe you are moving, you had such a beautiful palm collection and yard! You have lots of rare palms and all of them are healthy! Good luck on your move, too bad you are moving to a cooler zone, I hope your yard is as beautiful there as it is currently!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• miketropic
    11 years ago

yeah tripocalzone7 is right it is such a shame the palms are just beautiful and the yard as well. If you wernt so far away Id sure take any you were leaving behind, especially the blue/white ones love those.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I guess the bad news is,you have to move and leave some/most...

Maybe the good news is you get to start over?

Really a stellar collection you have!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

Any chance you could put up a greenhouse or two at the new place to store plants? Later sort out what can be tried? The Home Depot type of 9x12 or so sizes?