Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

What containterized palms are still out?

User
12 years ago

Still out--Washingtonias, Phoenix (all but roebellini), Butias, a few Sabals, Chamaerops, Cycas revoluta, and non-hardy Yucca and Dracaenas. I brought my Queens in this evening as I thought it was going to get really cold but they seem to be upping temps in the extended and not too bad right now so they might go out again--usually they have to come under protection in early December but we just finished our 5th warmest November, so who knows. Don't know where I am going to get larger containers for the queens next year!

Comments (8)

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

I have my Windmill Palms, Waggies, and Needle Palms out - all in containers.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Mandevilleas, lantantas, Majesty palms (one of the 2), livistonias (my Chinese fan palm and my Ribbon palm), 2 of my bananas, my oleanders, and several other plants as well like my philodendron. They are all still alive and doing well. My Musa Basjoo has a new leaf coming up and my lantanas have lots of new flower buds! Pretty impressive for almost December. No freezing weather for the next 10 days, but some nights get as cold as 33F, so I will have to take in some more plants very soon! Hopefully they hang in until the weekend!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I have two big Oleanders still outside and one was planted on the south side in full sun. Experimenting with the red one as it's my least favorite one in terms of color--protecting the magenta and white ones. Bananas are all protected. PS., In my experience, Chinese fans are not really that cold hardy--unless you don't mind some discolored fans.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

1 7gal.Butia Yatay
    2 15gal.Cycas Revolutas
    1 5gal.Trachycarpus Fortunei x Wagnerianus
    1 15gal.Phoenix Sylvestris
    1 5gal.Phoenix Theophrasti
    1 3gal.Chamaerops Humilis(cerifera)
    1 15gal Sabal Birmingham
    1 7gal.triple Butia Capitata
    1 3gal.Sabal Palmetto
    30 1gal.Sabal Palmettos

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I do agree, the Livistonia are not particularly hardy sometimes. Other times they are really cold tolerant. I have seen them get damage with temperatures only in the low 30s (below freezing) and I have also seen them have no damage at all with temperatures in the mid 20s. They definitely can come back from temperatures down to the upper teens (depending on the duration of those temperatures).
    -Alex

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

I just brought the last few of my containerized palms in tonight. 2 larger windmills and 1 Nainital. After our monsoon-like rains that brought 3 inches in about 24 hrs, they're now forecasting a week of winter-like temps no higher than 40 for highs and mid to upper 20s for lows. Here comes winter.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I brought a few more Date palms into shelter but the two-week extended for the immediate NYC Metro is not looking too bad. The remaining outdoor Date palms (canariensis mostly), Meds, Butias, Sabals, Cycads, and Oleanders are in a pretty good microclimate outside so I may leave them out for a few more weeks. The Queens are under cover--they are competing with the Norfork Island Pine in the height category--don't ask!

Here is a link that might be useful: Extended two-week forecast

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

all mine are still out...and will stay out... but then we don't get very cold. No frost yet this year, but getting pretty darn close.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor