Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cicak_gw

Sickness in red palm?

cicak
9 years ago

My palm is developing yellow dots throughout the leaves, can I know how to cure it?

Comments (11)

• cicak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the palm

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

what is a 'red palm'? Do you mean a Cyrtostachys renda? Hard to tell from photo since all showing are some fronds. Could easily be cold damage, particularly if Cyrtostachys (super cold sensitive)... but could physical damage from hail? Any more information? Were these indoors? Spider mites?

• cicak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the full view of the palm

• cicak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another tree also suffer from the same. The weather is around 30 Celsius daytime but recently had been raining everyday for last month.

• tropicalzone7
    9 years ago

Where do you live? Red Sealing wax palms are very cold sensitive. Temperatures much below 60F can start to cause damage and prolonged "cool" temperatures will also cause damage. They are definitely one of many very tropical palm trees.
    -Alex

• cicak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is in sabah, Malaysia.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

well, in that case, I might be looking at a lack of nutrient since doubt you get cold often. Perhaps there is not enough left in the soil after the rains flushed it all out.

• cicak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Btw, how should I trim this tree? Looks like the bottom part is quite messy, should I cut them away so the center trunk can grow taller? I want the center trunk to grow into bamboo shape (long and tall red trunk)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Most Cyrtostachis renda that are large and look nice have been trimmed around the bottom to expose the taller red trunks. As a clumping palm they continuously produce more young shoots that crowd out the bottom and hide the larger trunks.I've got a few but they're not tall yet (actually about the size of yours) so I don't worry about doing it. It's more a matter of personal choice (or too lazy to add another gardening job to the list). I don't know if it will speed up the other trunks, they are slow growing anyway.

• Fern_Freak
    9 years ago

In your 3rd pic, something has eaten the leaves. Look for curled up parts of the frond with a sticky web holding it closed. There should be a caterpillar in there thats the culprit. Id give it a dose of sealsol and nitrasol to help it along.

Tim

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

I cant see the pot- too dark. Maybe its too small? That clump looks tight.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz