Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eemedrelyt

Bismarck Palm and Mexican Fan Palm Questions

eemedrelyt
9 years ago

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding my Bismarck palm and Mexican Fan palm (see attached pictures).

For the Bismarck Palm, I was wondering if anyone could help me out by maybe telling me what might of caused these light brown spots on the fronds?

In addition, could someone maybe help with how one of the fronds seems to have black colored areas? If I had to guess I would say the black is from being too cold, but these palms have not been in any temperature below 30 degrees.

Also, would anyone maybe know why the newer frond has grown in to be smaller than the other fronds?

For my Mexican Fan palm, could someone help with providing maybe a guess on why a few of the fronds have bright yellow/green specs all over?

Lastly, could anyone provide information on why maybe both of my palms have not grown taller within the past few years?

I have had both palms for about 2-3 years now; they are always brought outside between May-October and are inside during November-April. In addition, both palms are and always have been in pots. They usually grow about 3-5 new fronds every year with maybe 2-3 of the older fronds dying each year. No frond on either palm ever seems to live longer than 1 1/2 years. All around, the Mexican palm usually always has 3 fronds with an additional 1 new frond emerging, and the Bismarck palms usually always has 4 fronds with an additional 1 new frond emerging.

I do know that palms like to be root bound. The Bismarck palm has not been touched since I bought it and it does seem to be root bound. The Mexican Fan palm was planted in the pot with a bit of extra room about 2 years ago, but it seems to now be somewhat root bound.

I do live in Minneapolis, and palms can't survive here on there own. I realize it can put stress on palms by changing there environment so much from going inside and outside. All around the palms have stayed alive for a few years now, and they never seem to have huge set backs. Most palms their age seem to be larger as in being taller and having many more fronds, but I'm sure there is a difference between growing them in warmer clients than here in Minnesota. However, there are plenty of garden nurseries around here and even a zoo that grows palms that all become very big and robust, unlike mine.

Overall, any help with any of my questions would be wonderfully appreciated! Oh and yes, I do fertilize my palms with palm fertilizer.

Comments (2)