Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Hyophorbe triple before it gets cold

Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 20:29

Fortunately, the weather here in southern California is still holding. It was 84 today. My Hyophorbe still look pretty good, but I know the cold weather that is on the way is going to set them back so I wanted to take a photo today.

Along the driveway from Left to Right: H. lagenicaulis, H. indica and H.verschaffeltii.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Hyophorbe triple before it gets cold

They look very happy right now! Hope it continues. Good luck!

o

How cold does S Cal get in winter ?
Of the three. Which is the best looker? I like the Spindle. Have you tried growing the Hyophorbe Hybrid ( Silver Lady) ? A cross between Bottle and Spindle. Have you found that the Indica is the fastest grower of Hyophorbecpalns? Also, are they all ok to grow near beach?

o

Wow, they look great for California palms.. .what city you live in?

o

I remember these palms from last year as im sure a few of us do... they have definately grown and look great. keep it up love the specimens in cali. -Justin in VB

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 18:54

My three Hyophorbe palm look pretty much the same as they did last year. They put some new fronds, but don't get much taller in only a years time.

I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita in south Orange County, CA.

We had the coolest summer in over 75 years, so they might not have grown as much as they would have during a normal summer. We did, however, hit 109 degrees last Monday.

The palms experience occasional high 30's during the winter. I'm about 10 miles inland from the Pacific. On the beach they would probably survive, but they would probably grow even slower there. There is never any real heat at the beach and Hyophorbe love heat.

o

So somewhere like Aruba, Carribean, they will grow very fast. Is the Bottle palm better at coping with salt spray from sea? Or how far from coast should they be planted? Are the Hyophorbes your favourite palms? Are these good at coping with drought?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here