Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out my 4 month old Mexican Fan palm seedlings

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 20:40

Hi. I have grown these mexican fan palm seedlings for about 4 months. I germinated them from seed. I was recommended these seeds from Banana Joe on facebook/youtube. You probably already know him, if not, Check him out! He has some good plant videos. Anyway, I planted some of these seeds and kept them on the pilot lights on my gas stove, during the hottest part of the summer and I found out that the seedlings sprouted in 1-2 weeks. It's very fast and very amazing! So, here we are 4 months later after a battle between my mexican palms and my cats, and they've been recovering pretty well recently:

Here's Mexican Fan Palm seedling 1
Mexican Fan Palm seedling 1 top view
It's impossible to see right now, but a third spear leaf is just starting to come up ^^
Here's another perspective:
Mexican Fan Palm seedling 1 side view
You can see that it kind of looks like a regular old grass plant
Here's my 2nd seedling:
Mexican fan palm seedling 2 side view
This one is supposed to have 3 leaves but the very first leaf died... thanks to my cat's.
And now for the other perspective:
Mexican Fan Palm seedling 2 top view
This is the newest leaf.

They would probably be MUCH bigger, if the cats just left them alone. But you know how little fur balls like cats are, they LOVE plants. But any who, I just wanted to share these with you. And don't forget to check out Banana Joe's plant videos if you haven't heard of him.

Cheers!
A fellow gardner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out my 4 month old Mexican Fan palm seedlings

Thats some amazing growth. I to have a Mexican fan palm seedling and its about 5 months old. Its pulling out its first split leaf. Very exciting.

o

When you say "first split leaf," are you saying that it's starting to fan?

o

They look really healthy and have some nice growth on them! They should look beautiful in a few years!
As far as the split leaf thing is going it doesnt mean that it's starting to fan yet, but it's does mean that it's getting there! Most palms start with single leaves, then double, and then it starts to make more complex leaves afterward. My queen palm had about 3 single fronds, 3-4 double fronds, and then started to make mature adult fronds.
Happy Thanksgiving!
-Alex

o

.......And they speed up-I noticed while covering mine yesterday that it grew 4' this spring/summer/fall.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Here's what im talking about

It may not look much of a split but its something.

o

Wow! I can't wait until mine looks like that!

o

your not far from it.

o

Here's the most recent photos of my mexican fan palm:

Full Palm
Washingtonia Robusta (Mexican Fan Palm) Seedling

Top View

Trunk/Stalk

Back Leaf

Spearleaf

This one is about 9 months old.

o

Mcgravy, I would put it in a larger pot and put it outside if you could, it'll explode with growth.

o

That is amazing. Yours is looking a lot better then mine. Im Jealous.

o

It'd be a lot better if my cat's would leave it alone. But that's not going to happen unless I keep it away from them. I think that it's amazing how it survived for this long. lol

o

Those do grow fast! And I wouldn't worry about the cats having bothered them. These plants are very resilient. I'm constantly battling volunteer seedlings in my yard. The birds drop their seeds everywhere, and all all times of the year I'll find new seedling popping up out of every possible nook and cranny, among my flower beds, in my vegetable garden, and right up against the foundation of our house. I usually let them get to a certain size and then harvest the "palm hearts" for eating :) They taste just like asparagus and are so crunchy! Good luck!

o

I found out that the newest leaf is split at the end. Does this mean that I'm not that far from seeing fronds on my Mexican Fan Palm? Here's a picture of it now:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here