Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joey_powell

Pics of Cuban Royal in ground for 3 & a half years in SE Alabama

joey_powell
12 years ago

I bought this Cuban Royal Palm from a nursery on Krome avenue near Homestead, Florida in December 2007 while on a business trip. In February 2008 I planted it in the ground behind my house in Enterprise, Alabama. This photo of it, taken in July 2008, is the earliest I could find. This poor thing had a VERY rough winter in my garage and almost died before I finally planted it. In this photo, it's about four or five feet tall.

This photo was taken a few days ago in November 2011. Just look at the difference! In about three years and four months it has grown to a height of over thirteen feet.

And, as you can see in this photo, there is well over a foot of wood trunk.

We have seen temperatures in the teens many times here since this palm was planted. So far I have been able to do a pretty good job of caring for it. But unfortuneately, due to its size, this will probably be the last winter I am able to protect it.

This thing has GOT to be incredibly cold hardy. Maybe someone out there, further south in Florida, would be interested in digging and transplanting it to a new home next fall?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor