Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

A couple of photos for you to enjoy :)

Central_Cali369
12 years ago

A few years ago, I went through a palm craze, which slowly gave way to more drought tolerant succulents and cacti in more recent years. Of course, I can't simply get rid of the palms, and despite receiving less water than they're used to, the palms look great, especially at this time of the year when the weather begins to cool. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy :)

This is possibly the most water thirsty group of plantings in the whole yard. The Passiflora Edulis helps shade the garden and also protect it from cold winds in winter. I have Pygmy Date palms, white Bird of Paradise, Aloe Arborescens, Monstera Deliciosa and many, many succulents.

{{gwi:1178836}}

{{gwi:1178837}}

This is a Howea Forsteriana that use to be one of three planted together. This is the only survivor of the last freeze we had in 2007. There's also a Cyathea Cooperi behind it, Blechnum Gibbum, a Tibouchina Urvilleana shrub, and lots of clivia and spathiphyllum underneath in the shade.

{{gwi:1178838}}

Here's a Majesty palm that started off as a houseplant. I was under the impression that it would simply die in our winters, but here it is 4 years later :)

{{gwi:1178839}}

Here's a view of the yard, showing a little more of the drier parts of the garden and more of the succulents. You can also see century-old Washingtonia Robusta and Phoenix Canariensis in the background.

{{gwi:718433}}

Lastly, here is a shot of a red tailed hawk (upper roof) stalking it's next meal, the pigeon on the rooftop below. I saw them on my neighbor's roof and had to take a photo.

{{gwi:1178840}}

Comments (5)