Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardypalmfreak

Windmill Palm Update

HardyPalmFreak
12 years ago

Trachycarpus Takil and Trachycarpus Fortunei in the Bronx Botanical Garden. Both are NOT protected and are in a microclimate facing south. Both have survived very harsh winters. Enjoy!

{{gwi:1178908}}

{{gwi:1178910}}

{{gwi:1178911}}

{{gwi:1167678}}

{{gwi:1178912}}

{{gwi:1178913}}

{{gwi:1178914}}

{{gwi:1178915}}

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice pics! I dont think any of those are takils though. Takils are really rare. I found a great website with pictures of all the distingushing features of every trachycarpus species, but I cant find the website. But basically, Takils have larger and stiffer fronds than Fortunei. And Takils also have a fatter and more fiberous trunk.

But Im really happy to see Trachys doing well there! I saw 2 Trachys planted really close to me right by the water so I will definitely be checking those out all winter long to see how they are doing! I hope those make it also!

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

No Takil in those pictures.
    Bergstrom gardens has some nice Takil info.

Takil ligules

Here is a link that might be useful: Bergstrom gardens

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The sign next to it says takil. Maybe they're wrong. The smaller one labeled Takil did make through the harsh winter much better than the larger Fortunei. Who knows. Next time I go visit I will take a closer picture of its crown for a detailed picture.

Alex I want to see these palms you mentioned above. Take some photos for us.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I definitely will! Tomorrow should me a nice day so I'll try to drive to a few of those palms!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Actually I do have some pics taken around early September of the palms near my house. Here they are...

The crape myrtle is huge next to that house also. A google street view of the house shows it being built about 5 years ago and the Crape Myrtle was a newly transplanted tree (they got it at a huge size), but the palms were not there yet and I think they are new as of this year. The Palm in the second pic looks much healthier than the first.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Most people have no idea what a Takil looks like in comparison
    to Fortunei/Nainital and they continue to be sold as Takil
    even though 99.9% of the time they are clearly Nainital.

Since Takil grow in a remote area in the mountains... (nowhere near Nainital) there is
    basically no chance of having the odd Takil show up in a seed batch!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Just a quick update....

The 2 windmill palms I took a picture of are now covered in blue plastic and hopefully some type of burlap material as well. Im glad that they decided to at least protect them from the moisture and as long as they dont stay in there too long, I think they will be fine (I think it was too early to cover up the palms since its actually a warm day outside today so I would imagine that its probably really warm inside the plastic).

I think the reason why they were protected like that was because some people see fig trees protected like that (these days, I dont even see figs around here protected too much), but the difference between figs and palms are that figs go dormant and dont need sun or air during the winter. Palms dont go dormant (they might slow down to a stop in cold climates, but naturally, they have the ability to grow all year long) and do need sun and air all year long. So wrapping a palm in plastic isnt the best method for protection, but its probably better than nothing! And Im glad that some of the landscapers here at least have some knowledge of cold hardy palms!

-Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

THanks for the pics Alex. Looks like cold weather palms are catching-on in the NYC metro area. What a great house. That house looks like what they now term "a McMansion" - thats a nick name for these huge homes built all around the city in such large numbers.