Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Traveller's Palm or Giant BOP?

islandbreeze
9 years ago

How can I tell if I have a Traveller's Palm or a Giant Bird of Paradise? From the pics I've seen, they look very similar. There are three in the same pot, but I know that doesn't probably mean too much, since growers can cram multiple plants in the same pot. The plant is probably 6-7 feet tall overall.

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

If there were a picture, we could tell you.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

not sure under what conditions those plants have been growing, but if they were outdoors for some time, i would be guessing Ravenala (Traveler's Palm) as they have long and flat leaves, while Strelitzias have cupped, shorter and stiffer ones⦠but if these plants have been indoors for a long time, could be either, as Strelitzias tend to get leggy and weak and start to look like Traveler's palm.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup of the trunks if it helps any. I bought it from Lowe's this past summer, so not sure of the growing conditions before I bought it, but I assume it was grown in a greenhouse. Because of that, I had it on my deck on the north side of my house where it got no direct sunlight to prevent it from burning.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    My guess would be Strelitzia nicolai , White BOP. They all look much alike as immature plants except for juncea, they are unique from the sprout lol.
    Usually Ravenala will start to trunk at a very young age while the white tends to pup and often takes years to trunk.
    Curious as to what you plan to do with it?? That is a baby!! lol Both attain well over 30 feet If it starts to trunk you're in trouble!! lol good luck gary

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was assuming it was a BOP but lzrddr reminded me that BOP will have more cupped leaves, and this plant does not. The leaves grow very flat.

Well I definitely plan to pot it up, but I don't want it to grow at lightning speed either, so maybe I'll pot it up to a slightly bigger size in a much heavier pot. The plant acts like a parachute and catches strong gusts of wind, constantly blowing over.

I only paid $26 for it, so even if I only enjoy it for a few years, it gives a great tropical look.

• User
    9 years ago

Travelers Palms are almost never sold in the North, which BOP is available just about everywhere. Guessing it is BOP...which is VASTLY better indoor btw!!

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. If I grow it in full sun, it should grow shorter and more compact, therefore easier to fit indoors, right?

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Traveler's palm is not a palm⦠it is very closely related to Bird of Paradise (as close as you can get and not be in the same genus). I have grown Traveler's palms and they get bigger than that for me before making a trunk. Still going with Ravenala. Are leaves super stiff, or somewhat soft?

This plant in the photo here in California is nearly 18' tall and still no trunk

This post was edited by lzrddr on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 13:30

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

in this photo you can see a lot of young Strelitzia nicolais.. notice the cupped tips of their leaves⦠very stiff and leathery to touch, too. Your plant has much flatter leaves like the one in the photo above⦠and has very long, straight stems (usually an S nicolai leaf would be arching backwards by that height)⦠of course, plants grown in low light situations can grow very weirdly.

• siegel2
    9 years ago

Travellers Palms eventually develop a trunk. Here's mine in California. Its around 18 years from seed.