Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Some November pics of my yard (and comparison pics!)

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

First some comparison pics.

My Musa Saba in December 2010 indoors

My Musa Saba about 2 weeks ago. (spiral ginger was also in bloom)

My Pindo palm on June 25, 2011

My Pindo palm around early Fall, about 3 months later...

My Spindle palm on June 25, 2011....

My Spindle palm on October 25, 2011...

Maybe I'll post some more comparison pics later! I really like looking at all the progress my tropicals made. You never really notice until you look at the pics!

And now some pics from last night....

My Butterfly ginger is about to bloom! Im surprised it managed to bloom this late in the year, and the fragrance is really nice!

Some more flowers coming from the butterfly ginger. If I lived someplace warmer, these blooms would probably open near christmas time, but unfortunately, a frost will definitely knock this flower head out before it gets the chance to flower.

Thanksgiving Cactus getting ready to bloom for Thanksgiving! They should be in Full bloom just after Thanksgiving, probably early December (they will be inside the house at that point).

Some minor Frost damage to my Mandevilla, but some of the blooms still are doing well!

My Trachy and Livistona getting ready for winter. This will be the Trachy's 3rd winter and the Livistona's 2nd

Camellia getting ready for spring!

There are still some bugs outside. This is a Crane fly, but it gets mistaken for a Mosquito by a lot of people.

Thanks for looking! I Hope everyone's palms and other tropical plants are ready for winter. Most of my tropical palms are inside now, I still have my Majesty palms outside and potted Livistonas, maybe I will bring those inside this weekend. All my other palms are inside of the winter and waiting until April to go back ouside!

-Alex

Comments (11)

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where are you located, Tropicalzone?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Thats some nice growth Alex

I cant wait to see what these Saba Banana plants do next year,
    mine grew from 1' to about 8'(5' of trunk)next year it should be massive!
    My understanding is they can reach 40'(-:
    hows that for some yard bling?!

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Nice job as always Alex. In a few years, that Spindle will be too big for the house, no?

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see those palms when they are 10' or more. Hope they overwinter fine. We might have to compare and see who can cram the most plants inside for winter!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Panamajack! I live in NYC!

Thanks Jim! I think we got our Saba's at about the same time and at the same size, but mine sounds like its a little smaller than yours (the soil here isnt as good as in the mid west and root space might have been a problem too). But its still grown a ton. The "trunk" on mine is about 4.5 feet and the tallest leaf is about 7 feet tall. I cant wait to see it this time next year! At this rate it will be probably 13 feet tall by next year!

Thanks Protempsfish. The spindle is already barely fitting into the house. I have it in a room with a 10 foot ceiling and the top fronds are touching that. But I have another room with about a 20 foot celing. The lighting isnt perfect in there, but at least its high enough to keep the spindle palm doing well for several more years. Its a fast grower though!

Thanks for looking everyone!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks chadec! I really cant wait for them to get that tall either! The trachys are at least a good 7 years from getting to a noticeable size, but the pindo palm might be a good size in less time than that!
    I definitely cram a ton of plants inside! Actually even though I have more plants this year, they are fitting inside easier this year than last year. Maybe its because some of my plants are still outside.

Thanks everyone!
    -Alex

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Alex,
    All your plants have put on good growth,at least they look like they have to me.I could be wrong but dont you have two Pindo palms?How is the other one doing,the one you said never seems to grow?I've been thinking of buying one of those Saba bananas,since my Musa basjoos are multiplying like crazy and are about 12ft tall.Tho I dont know what I will do with all the basjoos,I started with 4 and now there are about 40 of them.I wish the palms would multiply that fast,LOL.You have really done a great job with growing all the tropical plants and palms you have.You grow plants that I'm weary about trying.Like the pics.It really shows how plants do grow when we think there doing nothing or little at all.Oh and about the crane fly,there are some around here that look like crane flys on steroids,LOL.
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I'm with you Randy, my basjoos are out of hand. I started with three. Now each is a cluster with up to 10 plants up to 12 fee tall. We've not had frost yet, so they're still growing. A few leaves got a bit wind burned during recent winds. I divide off pups and give them away.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Randy, I do have 2 pindo palms, but my slow growing one (now 3 summers under its belt) is still very slow growing. Im thinking about not protecting it, but I'll see what happens! I definitely recommend Saba bananas, they are one of my favorite banana plants. They grow fast and are very wind resistant too so they dont look so bad after a really bad thunderstorm or tropical storm.

My Basjoos definitely have something wrong with them since they are bad at puping and bad at growing. They really didnt grow at all this past summer in height (but they put out about 7 leaves). Im leaving them outside for the winter and I dont think I'll be that upset of they dont make it.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago

Your Spindle Palm is really beautiful. That new frond looks great! Good luck this winter! :)

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks PanamaJack! I really like my Spindle palm because they are usually pretty good indoor palms too. I think they are great tropical palms for people in northern climates that want to bring there palms indoors every year. They are heavier than many of my other palms though!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths