Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late November palms in Wisconsin

Posted by wxman81 5b, SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:59

I'm closing up my windmill palms Sunday for the winter, so I thought I'd post a few final pictures of the season. Overall a great growing season here with above normal temperatures most months.

This trachy has been in the ground since 2008. Wife and daughter for scale.

Here is a trunk height measurement. It has added 20 inches since March.

Planted this one in 2010 -- it was actually bigger than my oldest one when first planted. Grew slow for awhile, now it's finally picking up speed.

Trunk height picture of the 2nd windmill palm.

Here is my little waggie that I've had since a strap leaf seedling. Planted it this past March.

Finally, here is my new magnolia grandiflora '24 below' that I planted in May, along with a couple yucca filamentosa 'color guard' that have been in the ground since spring of 2011.

Oh, and I'm going to be doing something extravagant next spring. I'm taking down my maple tree and replacing it with a Phoenix sylvestris that I will protect. I'm hoping to get a nice palm specimen in the middle of my yard. See pic for location:

I will succeed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late November palms in Wisconsin

Wow. I'm always amazed by the tropical landscapes way up north. The small Pacific island looking statue is a nice touch. What are those big leafed plants in the front yard? Great photos.

o
RE: Late November palms in Wisconsin

Your yard looks great. Awesome job with those windmills. What's the secret to getting them to grow that fast? Do you fertilize? Full sun? I don't think the growth of your larger palm is typical of trachys. Or maybe i'm just not giving mine enough sun...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here