Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theiss87

Winterizing Pindo Palm and several young Sabal Minors

theiss87
13 years ago

Have one Pindo no taller than 1.5 feet tall fronds included, very little if any trunk showing, several small sabal minors (each has about three or four full size single leaves, no fan patterns yet) and one good size sabal minor (four or five full size fan leaves and developed, noticeable trunk growth looking thing.

What are your recommendations for winterizing these plants? All but the pindo went into the ground between May and June of this year, the pindo went in late July. I live in Northern Delaware, zone 7a. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I overwinter my palms with X mas lights followed by a frost cloth and then a plastic garbage bin. The lights provide warmth and the frost cloth keeps the warmth in. The plastic garbage bin protects the palms from moisture and also protects them from wind and keeps more heat in. The protection takes only 5 minutes to put on and can easily be taken off on warm days. For me, it kept the palms about 17F to 23F warmer than the outside temperature which is cool enough to keep it from overheating, but more than warm enough to keep them from being too cold. I put the protection on below 25F and also put it on on cold days. I start to put the plastic garbage bin over it around this time of the year, but only when it rains. This keeps them dry for the winter.

Good luck! Also since it sounds like your palms are still small, you dont have to use a garbage bin, you can just use an empty plastic pot, or large plastic container.
    -Alex

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

I agree. I have cat palms in the ground which are marginally hardy here and use this method. They come through just fine.
    Barb

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

That should work fine until they get larger and you require a larger covering.

I built a frame and covered it with palstic and turn on a 40 watt light bulb on inside the structure on nights below 25.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

Last year, I overwintered my Pindo with a thick layer of mulch and then a leaf cage. Would have worked fine except I neglected to cover the top. Pindo recovered, but had some moisture damage. So you can do that and fasten a tarp on the top.

This year I purchased a mini PVC greenhouse for the Pindo. That plus a 100w bulb should keep her happy.

I just give my Sabals a thick layer of mulch and they survive, albeit it with a few winter wounds. If you can be more ambitious (lights), then all the better.

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

I plan on R-13 insulated sides and a removable top on warm days with the same insulation on top. I live near Springfield Mo and I'm just hoping for the best. I have a Pindo and a Windmill . I have the ground around them covered in pea gravel for retaining heat. They are also in between my house and a building on their north side for even more protection. What do you guys think? Will this work?

Thank you, Jamie

• southwestmissouri
    11 years ago

I plan on R-13 insulated sides and a removable top on warm days with the same insulation on top. I live near Springfield Mo and I'm just hoping for the best. I have a Pindo and a Windmill . I have the ground around them covered in pea gravel for retaining heat. They are also in between my house and a building on their north side for even more protection. What do you guys think? Will this work?

Thank you, Jamie

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

It sounds good but you should put something in your boxes for heat such as christmas lights. Also im not sure if the pea gravel would help with anything. I think mulch would be better.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I agree, the insulation sounds great, but a little bit of heat is definitely needed, especially for the pindo. One of my pindo survived 12F last winter with no protection and a bit of damage, but it seems like in my experience pindos will get damage around 20F when young especially in a northern climate where temperatures dont get warm during the day like in the south. My pindo palm protected with christmas lights as additional heat have no damage.

Good luck!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor