Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
could i grow a coconut tree inside?

Posted by coco_nut east maryland (burtongrs@aol.com) on
Tue, Nov 23, 04 at 23:22

i have a coconut tree and i was wondering if it could survive inside with a heatlamp or a plantgrowth light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: could i grow a coconut tree inside?

How much space do you have for it to "survive inside"? These are eventually large palms and tropical in all it's requirements. If you can duplicate a tropical condition, give it a try. There are many in southern coastal California that would love a Cocos nucifera (Coconut Palm) and can't grow one.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

Along with what you mentioned, you will probably need a humidifier as well. If you keep the Cocos warm, it demands water. If it gets cold, it does not want as much. It does not like soil temps below 60, and ambient temps below 35. It will grow best if you keep the ambient temp around the plant at 75-80. I know that is probably hard in the wintertime there, but it will grow best this way.

o

coco-nut -
I am growing a Coconut Palm in a pot. It is tricky and they need a lot of attention and still things can go wrong. cfkingfish is correct, the coconut needs warm and very humid conditions. There are very few success stories growing coconuts on the west coast because of this. So far my coconut is about 3 feet tall. It produced two fronds this year. Remember to use well-drained soil and fertilize. I use two 20W florescent full-spectrum bulbs over the winter. One secret is to bottle spray the fronds and crown; this mimics humid conditions and keeps mites/scales to a minimum. I place my coconut outside in the late spring-summer timeframe where it baths in our humid conditions here - this is a good thing. I realize my coconut will never grow to any significant size, nor reproduce coconuts. For me, it's a pleasure see any tropical coconut growth.

o

i have about a 10 foot cieling and i already have a humidifier but i dont mist it, so should i use a light or not.

o

Hi
Don't want to be too discouaging but I can't imagine a worse choice as a houseplant. They require very high levels of light and warmth. I suspect constant air movement is also required. I doubt any type of light fixture would even sustain a coconut let alone allow it to flourish. Also there is the size problem,even the dwarf specie get 30 or 40 foot spreads.
There are soooo many other palms that are better suited for indoor culture. Parlor, and fishtail as well as many of the understory palms come to mind.Though even these get very large they could be pot cultured for many years.
Gary

o

In the spring I purchased one coconut palm from a local Home Depot. I put it into only a slightly bigger pot and freely added tropical beach sand. It spent the entire summer and the warmer autumn months outdoors here in NJ. I wasn't hopeful about it once I brought in inside because they are supposed to be difficult indoors. I have mine now in a southern exposure window. It gets watered about once a week. It looks great and is pushing growth here in early January. I also am having luck with the coconut that I planted from a nut found in Key Biscayne, Fl.. It has put out several leaves and is looking good. I have now reconsidered the chances of growing these palm as northern, indoor plants.

o

I also bought a coconut palm from a local Home Depot. It is about 3' tall and in the house right now. The leaves are turning brown. Not sure if it needs more water, less water, more sun or what. Any ideas?

o

I'm not sure why we sucuumb to the delight on trying to grow Coconut Palms in a pot. I, too, got snickered into this. For two years, my Coconut Palm grew, then stopped and then just last week, died. I fertilized, sprayed and artificially lighted. Don't get me wrong, it responded quite nicely for awhile with three new shoots, but alas the inevitable occurred. For those who keep trying - good luck.

o

Bummer Kevin, sorry to hear. Its quite an accomplishment that you got it to live for that long. My suggestion is to see if you can relocate to Miami. Then you can push 2 new fronds a month and not even work for it. Best of luck in future projects.

Shaun

o

• Posted by satur9 z 10a swFL (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 25, 05 at 23:08

You can't grow coconuts inside a house. They'll live for a while if the temp is always 77F, but they need high 80's and high humidity for 8-9 months straight to grow; how are you going to do that in a house? Coconuts are very fast growers. If they're growing slowly, they're not in the right conditions. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have to give a palm with tropical requirements a "growing season." They don't even produce any fronds in the winter in south Florida (late December thru February) and the average high temp is 74-77F each day in that time frame. Coconut palms in Florida produce all of their fronds from March until the end of November, and the temp is anywhere from 85-95 (avg. 89-90F) for that duration.

Jeff

o

True, Coconut palms need lots of warmth but the humidity thing is a bit over-played. In the Southern California Palm Journal there is a story of several coconuts growing for several years now outside in the ground in Salton CA. Salton is in the middle of the desert and summer humidities are typically in the single digits. The homeowner bought the palms in a local grocery store not knowing what they were and planted them amongst his cactus and other succulants. Summer highs are always triple digits and winter lows are often in the low 30s with winter highs in the 70s. I know it goes against common knowledge but there are always exceptions to the rule.

o

All in all, coconuts would prefer being on a beach in the South Pacific (wouldn't we all). But it is possible to overwinter them in a house. I have mine outside for about half the year in direct sun, high temps and even higer humidity. I overwinter it in a southern (unobstructed) exposure. Currently, the ground is covered with white snow so that inside the house it is very bright. Also I have about 200 other plants in the house so it is humid and the indoor temps never go much lower than 70 degrees.
Personally, I find Licuala spinosa much more difficult to get happy. My friends in Florida tell me it's not so easy outdoors either.

o

For a coconut indoors - treat it like any other indoor palm except in the winter - if your house is below 75 F - don't water it - and in the summer if it is indoors - barley water it and have it in good draining soil, and make sure the soil is only very slightly damp - barley anything. Then in summer you should put it outside and then you can water it as much as you would like.

o

If you have the room I don't see why not. There have been coconut palms for years inside the Orlando airport. They live but must admit they don't look as robust as ones outside.

o

P.S. I hope you have a forty foot ceiling to accommodate it!

o

I find these comments very interesting as I have a Coconut Palm growing inside in suburban Chicago and it has been not only alive, but thriving for the past 11 years. I put it outside in late May, it returns to the indoors in mid-September. Inside, the temp is around 70 and it receives eastern morning sun, that's it. No special lighting, no special humidity, nothing. It pushes out about 5 new leaves each season, including during the winter so while most say "it can't be done", it really can. Perhaps not easily, but don't give up.

o

I grew mine from a coconut last January. It threw out it's first root one month later. I used biovam and adzsum plus in my soil mixture. It produced three immature leaves in the summer. During this winter, the palm did not grow until I began shining a grow bulb three inches away from its growth center. From 5 weeks ago until now, it has pushed out three to four inches with the new lighting.

o

Satur9 is right about the temperature requirements. I have a small coconut that still have bifid leaves. I planted it in mid-November, and it has only pushed 1.5 fronds out since then. After shock, and the winter, I didn't expect more. Im hoping it will take off this summer. I am so tired of watering it. Come back rain!

o

rwallen1961, how tall is your palm now? If it pushes around 5 new fronds for the last 11 years it should be quite large. Any pics you can share? Thanks

Shaun

o

What would the best type of coconut that could grow as a house plant in the winter only? Since in the early spring I can put it in my greenhouse.

o

Coco nut, When I lived up north I also grew coconut palms indoors-outdoors. While growing indoors during the cold season It's very important to keep the fronds clean and free of spider miites which thrive in dry sunny locations indoors. Mist or spray -wash the fronds often.
Citrus Master for indoors I would recommend dwarf variety.They are slower growing.
If anyone finds their indoor coconut outgrowing it's surroundings and are willing to drive it to the Ft. Lauderdale area they can contact me about planting outdoors.

o

I have been growing a coconut palm in a pot for the past 5 years. It is difficult but brings much joy to have a little of the tropics in Missouri. I purchased the coco when it was about 4 feet tall and kept it in a large pot. I let it enjoy the hot and humid summers of Missouri. It usually grows two new fronds each summer. During winter I keep it in the basement under a metal halide lamp inside a small room I have sectioned off and keep it humidified. I moved to Florida a couple of years ago and left it with a friend who just kept it as a houseplant with no extra light. I recently got it back since I moved back to MO and my friend no longer wanted it. It is suprisingly still in great shape even with minimal care. I have since repoted it into a very large pot and again I store it in a makeshift "growth chamber " in my basement. It is enjoying the warmth outside again against all odds. So the answer is "yes" you can be succesful with coconut palms outside the tropics. Although I havent thought of what I will do when it decides to get too tall??

o

I am trying to grow a coconut palm tree up North. In the summer, does it matter if the palm is left outside directly in the rain or should I place the palm in a covered outdoor area?

o
RE: could i grow a coconut tree inside? Follow-up

I forgot to mention that the palm is only 6 inches big. Thanks.

o

It doesn't matter. Hopefully you have good drainage. It rains a lot in the tropics. :)

Shaun

o

I had a coconut palm sent to me from Hawaii in late April. I got good steady growth under an artificail light until mid June when I was able to leave it outside for the summer. It has really taken off. The average high here since mid June has been about 85 and the average low 66. does anyone have an idea when it will stop living off of the original nut and require fertilizer. It is now about 28" high and grwing fast. Thank you for any input

o

Hi
This is an interesting thread as what you are really doing is appling BOnsai techniques to a palm..Okay not real Bonsai but definitely dwarfing.
Ask any bonsai freak and they'll tell you it can't be done..It will not dwarf as woody plants do but die.
Ihere used to be a guy on PBS that used different Bonsai techniques and he claimed to have used it on Coconut as well as several other palms.
For several years I've been trying this with royal palms.
Mainly because the seedlings are easily available and are much smaller than coconut. They are just now beginning to form trunks though I have snipped the tap root twice. They did not die but I'm not sure if they are dwarfing.Next spring I'll transplant them to individual pots with heavy root pruning on some and nutrient starvation on others.
The goal would be a mature one under 5 feet. Smaller if I can manage it.
Your posts have convinced me it is possible to maintain them in an immature state. Not sure about indefinitely as with true woody bonsai.
My theory is that any plant must respond to cultural srarvation. There would only be three alternative either
death.remaining immature or dwarfing.
Going to take a long time to find the results though,Already have more than 3 years in them.
gary

o

To GaryFla-
Gary thank you for the input. I'm not really trying to"dwarf" my coconut or the two 2 foot mexican fan palms I have. My hope is to keep them healthy until next summer. I have a couple of freinds that live in Deerfield beach. I hope to be able to enjoy them through next summer and then take them down there next fall and transplant them onto their property. I'm just not sure at what point in a coconuts development that it stops living off of the nut.
Thank you,
AndyAndy 6B MI

o

Hi
From what I've seen they vary considerably in germination timeas well as seedling stage. They can soak in seawater for long periods of time and still sprout yet it is not necessary. I suppose it depends on conditions
Apparently all that's absolute is warmth and sunlight.
Kew has been growing them indoors for almost 2 centuries lol
So it couldn't be tropical sunlight .
I always thought it would be interesting to have dwarfed palms. As the biggest drawback to them is size at least as houseplants.
.. good luck with your project
gary

o

Here's my coconut palm. I've had it now for 1 1/2 growing seasons. Since I set it out this Spring it has grown 2 1/2 new fronds. Indoors I keep it in a Southern exp. window with very little water.

o

Dave in No Va-
I've had my coconut since late april. I live near detroit and it has been quite warm here all summer. The plant was 9.5 inches when o got it and now the tallest frond is about 28" high. There is also a new one catching up fast. can you approximate how long until the fronds begin to split and become more "adult looking".
thanx, andy

o

Andy, I haven't really had that much experience with them. My plant was already about 4 feet high when I got it and the fronds were already split into the familiar adult fronds. I would think you might see some splitting next season. Just a guess.

o

Dave in NO Va-
Do you know if your plant is still living off of the coconut or do you have to fertalize it. if so when did you start? What kind?

thanx, Andy

o

Here is a photo of my coconut tree growing in Chicago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

o

Andy,

The coconut is still there, but it is slowly rotting away. I fertilize it every week or so.

o

Hi,

speaking of bonsai and coconuts, I have seen coconut trees in the tropics growing almost horizontal for 10 or 15 feet, before shooting straight upwards. wouldn't it then be possible to grow an indoor palm in a slow upward spiral so that you could still have a mature tree indoors that might actually give coconuts? Just a thought.

o

Adam-
Coconuts do grow in various directions in an attemt to find light. I Don't know if your plan would work in theory but these palms have to get quite big before they will form nuts. I don't know how practical it would be to move a plant of that size in and out each spring and fall. Also I believe they develop a root ball far larger than many other palms. If one could find a pot big enough to hold it in it would way a ton. I have a 5 foot Pigmy date palm that was root bound. The pot it was in had a diameter of 25". I couldn't find a pot larger than that. I finally had to put it in a 55 gallon trash can. Now it takes two grown men to get it back in my house.

o

Hi Andy,

There are dwarf coconut palms in Costa Rica that top out at maybe 14-16 feet. They give plenty of nuts, about the same number as a larger tree.

o

Born and Raised in FIJI. Grew up with coconut trees. Enjoying its fruits. Miss it very much since I moved to USA. BUT I am trying to to grow a coconut tree in california(LA Area). Used 20 gallon pot with palm and cactus mix and 50 lbs of sand mix. I water them ocasionally. Seems to be doing ok. Any other advice??????

thank you

o

Have your seeds sprouted. My understanding is that you need a constant soil temperature of at least mid 70s. I am growing a coconut indoors/outdoors but I had mine shipped to me alrady sprouted from Hawaii.

o

I got mine shipped from Fiji already sprouting. The fonds are about 9" right now.

I want to keep them alive as long as possible. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

o

Mine was a little over 9 inches when I got it in April. It's now about 3 and a half feet. Heat and sun are the keys.
If it's getting into the 80s during the day and 60s at night leave it out in the sun. If temperatures are cooler than that leave it in a south facing window. Being from Fiji you have a pretty good idea of what the natural envirnment is for a coconut palm. One main thing to remember is if it's hot the coconut likes a lot of watter. If it's cooler (70s) it does not need a whole lot. in fact too much water if it's cool out can rot the roots. Absolutely do not let it sniff overnight lows in the 40s. A lot of this depends on where you are located. Are you near shore where it's more temperate or are you inland where it's warmer? If you are in a location where there is little humidity mist your cocoonuts often and when you have to move it indoors try and keep a fan blowing the air around it for a few hours a day. Sun + Dry Air = spider mites which feed off of the new growth and can kill the plant. Added humidity and air circulation can help greatly. Good luck, we'll have to keep each other updated. I'm in Michigan and I'm not likely to see an 80 degree day until May. I grow a number of palms indoors during the winter and outdoors in the summer but my coconut is my favourite and the biggest challenge.

Andy

o

Dave in Northern Virgina-
If you happen to read this would you mind letting me know what the temperature is roughly where you keep your coconut palm during the winter. How often do you water during the winter? mine is in a SW window at a fairly steady 70. When the sun comes out it can raise the temperature to about 75.
I have just put a heating pad underneath it that can raise the soil temperature at the bottom of the pot to about 80-85.

thanx, Andy

thanx,
Andy

o

Andy,

Just saw this. The room is about 72F during the day, perhaps warmer if the sun is out, and probably around 68 at night. It got some direct sun from a south window. Watering? Hmmm, maybe about once every two weeks. The palm has gotten a bit big (grew four fronds) and I'm not sure if I can keep it in the same location this winter!

~Dave

o

Dave-
Thank yoy for the input. I've placed mine right in front of my livingroom window. It gets about 2 hours of direct late morning sun. I also have a grow light on it that I turn on before I leave for work and off when I get home. I've also put a heating pad underneath it. I've had it indoors for the last few weeks. it is still growing and in fact has a new spear coming out. I to will have a space problem after next summer. It's about 3.5 feet tall and if next summer is like this past one it will be 7-8 feet by next October. If you get a chance maybe you can post a new picture so we can compare to the one you took a few months ago.

thanx, Andy

o

Andy Andy can you place a picture of your coconut tree on this site

o

I'd love to but I'm not sure how. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. It's growth rate is incredible. I moved it indoors a month ago ant it has a new frond shooting up. Maybe about 1/4" per day. it's in a constant 70-75 degree envirnment with about 50-60% humidity. I have it now in a SW facing bedroom with about 8 other palms. I keep a fan blowing on medium during the day to keep mites under control.

o

• Posted by Laaz z8b SC (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 23:10

Use http://www.imageshack.us/ once you upload the photo it will give you the url (Link) to post.

o

I'll take a new picture of it this week. I had a picture of it taken labor day weekend but I lost it when my computer crashed over the weekend. Besides it has a full new frond since then and is working on a new one. Look for the picture Thursday or Friday.

thanx,
Andy

o

I am borrowing my aunt's camera this evening. With any luck I'll have a picture posted tomorrow.

Andy

o

Sorry for the delay on the pictures. I have taken them but I need to figure out how to download them from the camera. This is my first experience using a digital camera.

o

I have my pictures ready to post. I do not know what a "URL" link is. They are sitting on my hard drive. Can anyone help me.

thanx, Andy

o

Firefighterfiji-
I hope you see this posting. The pictures I promised have been posted in another posting. The posting is from Laaz who was good enough to post them for me. So far my experience with my coconut has been very positive. I do not dispute some of the stories in this link but my plant seems to be thriving in a constant 70s envirnment. I do not think constant 80s are needed. I try and keep the humidity in the room at about 50%. Knock on wood by my coconut is growing quite well indoors. The extremely hot summer we had I'm sure helped. I'm sure it helped to develope a good root system. if you choose to try a coconut I wish you the best of luck.

Andy

o

thank you for the pictures. i have duplicated a similar setup for my coconut tree. hope i get the same results as you. I'll try to post some pictures of mine as well. just one question," did you completly burry the coconut seed or leave it exposed?" could not tell in the picture.

thank you

o

You want to bury the coconut about 1/3-1/2 in the soil. Do not completely bury it. Make sure it gets plenty of sun and don't be afraid to move it outdoors as often as weather allows. If nightime lows are going to be in the 60s or higher leave it out. It does not like soil temperatures below 60. having said that natural sun, rain, and wind are a tonic for any palm. There are several types of coconuts you can get also. From Hawaii you can get pacific talls which is what I have. These are very fast growing large palms. There are also some dwarf varieties that I don't believe grow so fast. Let us know what you decide. I look forward to seeing pictures. You can find people on e-bay who sell sprowting coconuts but I'm not sure they can send them to California. Some states have restrictions on that type of thing. They are concerned with bringing in unwanted pests.

thanx,
Andy

o

FirefighterFiji-
I just read your original question. I had forgotten that you already had 1 or more coconuts growing. How are they doing? What's the weather like there these days? I'd love to see some pictures. If you got them from Fiji they are probably pacific talls like mine. I am still getting noticeable growth. The pictures Laaz posted for me were taken about 9 days ago and the new shoot is about 8-10 inches higher already. I can't believe how fast they can grow.

o

I purchased a sprouted coconut in Maui last year in April and took it home to San Diego. It's been growing steadily ever since. Pictures and notes of the process are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72145314@N00/sets/1381701/

It's been a fun and interesting experiment!

Here is a link that might be useful: Noelani

o

It looks great, are you in a position to keep it indoors during the winter. I'm in Michigan so I have no choice but mine is still doing quite well and even growing some on sunny days. Whether you move it in or not don't let those soil temps drop below 60 they do not like that. Being in sunny California I think you will find that it will grow quite rapidly. Especially if you can position it in a spot where it gets loads of direct sun and a spot where that sun raises the air temperature to about 80. I'm fortunate that I have a spare bedroom facing due south. Enen on days in the teens outside if the sun is out it raises the temp in the room to about 75. One thing if you do move it inside you will need to mist it often and have a fan on several hours a day for air circulation.

Good Luck Andy

o

• Posted by PTA98 zone 6 MO. (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 05 at 23:22

I started a coconut from seed last winter. Took 6 months before it sprouted. Was doing good until I had to move it inside this Oct.It is about a foot tall now. Had a new sprout come out but it died off. Ends of the fronds are turning brown. I take it from what I have read I am not keeping it humid enough. Any Ideas? and what kind of fertilizer do I give it?

o

I keep the hummidity at about 50%. But I also mist it completely several times a day. Do you have it in a spot where it gets direct sun. That is also very important. It sounds like it's still small enough that it would still be living off of the coconut. How often do you water it. You just want to keep the soil a little moist. Don't watter it a lot.

o

Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 8:49

Haven't been doing anything special up to now. I need to get it in better light and start misting it. Not sure what kind it is. My daughters boyfriend brought it home from Palm beach Florida. He picked it up off the beach.

o

It is probably a dwarf variety. Most of the talls in Florida have been wiped out by Lethal Yellowing. It is critical that it get direct sun. I would also suggest a fan for at least a few hours a day. If you leave palms indoors where the air is stagnent it will be only a matter of time until the mites find them. The fan helps greatly with air flow. Last winter was the first time I tried keepng palms indoors. I figured if they stayed warm that would be enough. Before I new they were covered with mites. Now I mist them all the time and I put a fan on when I wake up and turn it off when I get home from work. I haven't seen any signs of mites at all. I also take them outside whenever the weather allows (60s). The last time was November 28th. The wind and rain act like a tonic and help to keep them clean. How warm is it where you keep the coconut. You want it to be at least 68. Hopefully you can find a sunny location where the temperature can go above where your house is set at. For example I have a spare bedroom with a large window (about 3x5) facing due south. Even on days where it only gets into the teens outside the sun raises the temperature in the room into the mid-70s. My coconut LOVES that and even on these short December days can show noticeable growth on those days. So in a nutshell: Mist often, sun sun sun, take outside anytime temps hit 60 (even if it's only for a couple of hours), and try and circulate the air around it.

o

Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 17:56

Thanks so much for the help. She will be so upset if it dies. So will I now its my baby LOL

o

This post was what got me into the forum in the first place. A google search got me hear. Let's here everybody's coconut story (indoors or out). They are the king of the tropics.

o
coconut tree in the OC

AA,

I found this site by accident too. I had a coconut palm growing outside 24-7 for 2 years. It gets below 40 at night, but never frosts. I brought it inside due to construction. I watered it lightly...obviously too light and it died. It was quick and unforgiving. Once the damage is done, it's hard for it to recover. I never did anything special for it outside. It never grew over 4 feet, but the trunk, at the base, was larger than my fist. To help with my depression, and guilt, I just bought a new coco palm from Home Depot. So far, my luck is continuing with my pineapple and plumerias.

o

• Posted by
    angel-fl
    (gw:angel-fl) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 19:56

I just got one from Walmart, and it been getting pretty cold in the low 30's, I keep on bringing it in and out from my garage and so far so good.
We'll see how big it gets on a pot, I will place it on a big wooden pot, see how it works.

o
RE: could i grow a coconut tree inside? corr

• Posted by
    angel-fl
    (gw:angel-fl) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 20:01

I meant (in a pot, in a big wooden pot)

o

Scaldude-
I'm sorry to hear yours died. Living in Michigan I don't move mine in and out on a repeated basis. It has been in since late September and won't go out probably until May or June. I do take it out occasionally for a few hours at a time if it gets up to 60. natural rain and wind every so often help a lot. I just brought another back from Florida yesterday. It is a green Malasian (sp ?) that is about 4 inches tall. I have high hopes because it already has pushed ot a tap root and it's supposed to be sunny up here for about 9 out of the next 10 days. it is in a south facing window os it will get loads of sun and will see temps consistently in the mid 70s. I also brought back some cabbage and canary island date palms seedlings back. Good luck with your new coconut.

Andy

o

Andy's got the bug...Tropical addiction! I had a coconut palm STOLEN off my back porch when I lived in Detroit. This has been a love-hate thing for years. I'll eventually transplant my new one into a wine barrel. I noticed that other growers experiment with various soil mixtures...I just used potting soil and added extra perlite for additional drainage.

SCalDude

o
RE: RE: could i grow a coconut tree inside?

Good luck Angel,

My last coconut palm did fine outdoors, even in a zone 9. Luckily I don't get frost here, but the overnight temps can dip into the high 30's for a week or so during the winter. Andy has me convinced on keeping this one inside....for awhile. LOL

SCalDude

o

I have mine in a potting mix mixed with sand. I plan on re-potting it during the summer. I really can't wait for summer. I am curious to see just how big it gets. It is about 55 inches from the soil to the top of the tallest frond. The new spear is about 28 inches and growing fast. The new spear is still divided in two (the fronds come out two lobed). The last one is starting to show signs of splittling. I'm sure the fronds that come out this summer will be split. My hope is to be able to stand underneath it by the end of summer.

o

Andy,

I think you have several years before your palm outgrows your house. It really needs to be in a zone 10 for the rate of growth you're talking about. You were chatting with someone in Chicago...their coco-palm was eleven years old and hadn't outgrown their house. That's actually a good thing...slow growth means more time for you to enjoy it.

Luckily, spider mites have not been a problem out here (there's also a coconut mite in Florida), but my coco-palm was infected with leaf spot disease. That was a tough battle. I caught it early, but it's stubborn.

I doubt you ever heard of it, but I used to work for Clover Technologies out by you. I moved back to Cali before Ford Field & Comerica Park were completed, but the pics I've seen were great.

SCalDude

o

SCDude-
I believe that person kept their coconut in an east facing window during the winter, only getting a couple of hours of morning sun. In addition he may have a dwarf variety. Mine faces South and gets hours of afternoon sun. Believe me I have done the math. It was 9.5 inches tall when I got it last April. It is now about 57 inches tall. Four feet in 10 months. My ceilings are only 8 feet. Also each successive frond gets bigger especially when outdoors in the summer. I'm not Bsing. On sunny days the spear will grow a 1/4 inch in a day. That rate will only increase as days get longer and warmer. Comerica and Ford Field are very nice stadiums. It's too bad the teams that play in them REALLY suck.

o

Andy,

Wow, that IS incredible growth. Good job.

SCalDude

o

Thank you, it has exceeded my wildest expectations. Last night it occured to me that I'm not including the height of the pot (15 inches) I'll have to figure out what to do at the end of this summer. If at all possible I'd like to get the summer of 07 as well. I'd love to have a 14 foot coconut palm in my yard. I'll just have to see how this summer goes.

o

Andy,

When I lived in Troy, I remember seeing very tall palms growing inside the Michigan shopping malls, I wonder what kind of an environment that would be for your coco-palm in the event that it outgrows your house?

SCalDude

o

There is a conservetory on Belle Isle that I am going to give some of my palms to. I'm going to see if they can keep it over winter and then I would move it back to my house in summer for as long as it is practicle. I would like to move it to Florida some day but I'm going to push it to the limit up here for as long as I can.

o

• Posted by scaldude S. Orange County, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 16:43

I have awhile before I need a conservetory. LOL

Image hosting by Photobucket

~ SCalDude

o

Looks great, I can't wait until I can take mine outside again. Even if for just a couple of days. It won't got out for the summer until May. Yours looks like mine. It may be a pacific tall from Hawaii. Good luck, hopefully I'll have a picture posted in the next couple of days. By the way what doe LOL mean. I see it all the time but i've never known what it means.

thanx, Andy

o

Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 17:36

LOL is an IM (instant message) abbreviation for "laughing out loud". My favorite is ROTFLMAO"rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off".

;-)

I'm easily amused.

o

Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 11:18

Andy,

You said you want to post pics on this site. Open a free account at photobucket.com then upload your pics, then copy & paste the photo's TAG link from photobucket into the message area here, for the image to look like mine above...low-rez digital pics are best so set your camera before you take the pictures (unless you have photoshop to resize). Don't feel bad, I had to check the "properties" of Dave_in_NoVA's pic to figure-out how it was done. Good luck.

~ SCalDude

o

SCalDude-
I joined photbucket last night. I plan on taking some pictures Saturday. They seem to come out better in daylight. Hopefully I'll be able to post them then. I also have some other palms that are really doing well that I'll post. They really seem to be taking off with the longer days. Now I just need some record heat. I drove into work today on an ice rink. This is the worst part of winter for northerners because we know it's only a matter of weeks now before the bitter cold, snow, and other bs move out of here.

o

right now andy, you must be on the other side of the storm because up here in chicago its in the 30's and we had heavy rains for about 10 mins last night. last i checked though tomorrow and saturday are supposed to be closed to 50. so we will see.............spring is coming!!

o

Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 20:25

Hey,

It's in the high 60's and sunny here...oops, sorry.

o
michigan growers.

The big indoor palms at troy's somerset are fake. I gave up trying to grow trachycarpus outside. The winters are far too harsh. We bottom out at -10ish pretty much every year... and days that do not reach 20 for sometimes 3 weeks. Leaf damage occurs in single digit even into teens, in SE MI teens and single digit nights mostly what we see in january. Our record low is -22, it would take lots of protection for any outdoor hardy palm.

o

I also found this site by a Google search.. Would outside an Orlando home be too harsh for a coco palm? ...And, on average, how much do they grow a year? How long would it take to get fruit out of it?

Thanks

o

Can you grow a husked coconut, and if not where can you get a not husked coconut. I have a husked 1 started and there is no progress. Ive had it for 3 weeks. I live in south california and im not sure if i can keep it outside.

o

WHY NOT JUST GROW IT !!

o

Leggomyeggo-
You're dating yourself with that one (lol). I have heard once of a husked coconut germinating before but I've heard that that is about 1 in a thousand. Being in California you are in somewhat of a pickle. There is a company in Hawaii called "suncatchers of Hilo" that exports sprouted coconuts (usually have one or two fronds) but I believe California has a law preventing you from importing something like that. Ironic I'm in Michigan and I can import as many as I want but you can't import one. Suncatchers can be found on e-bay. You could check I may be wrong but I don't think so.

o

I just plucked a sprouting coconut off a Thai beach and it is sitting on my porch in Bangkok. It is very young -- still a small 3 inch sprout in a coconut shell -- no roots yet.

The young 'coconut-ling' does not seem to be too happy though.
Should I be cutting off the shell to expose the roots? Does it need direct sunlight? Any other tips.

o

Absolutely it needs direct sun. I'm not sure what kind of temps you have there but I suspect it's warm. Place it in a pot with some loose well draining soil. Bury the nut about half way. If you are getting constant 80s (sorry don't =know the celcius numbers off of the top of my head) water it plenty.

o

Indeed the climate is perfect -- high 80s, and it gets about one-half day of sun. The coconut it so young though that the roots have not come thru yet. Is it useful to remove the shell, or just leave it as is?
I reckon it is especially challenging growing a coconut tree straight from seed.

o

NO do not remove the shell!! It will eventually grow external roots...let nature take its course and good luck!

o

Spataro is right, leave the husk on. It won't take long for those roots to shoot down if you're getting constant 80s. What are the temps falling to at night?

o

Hi everyone...

Have you seen coconut bonsai tree..? this unique and attractive form real coconut bonsai tree.
see at : http://www.indonetwork.co.id/cocobonsai

bye...

Here is a link that might be useful: cocobonsai

o

Hi everyone...

Have you seen coconut bonsai tree..? this unique and attractive form real coconut bonsai tree.
see at : http://www.indonetwork.co.id/cocobonsai

bye...

Sweet pictures on that site.

o

Palmshaun,

I'm not sure if I'm detecting some sarcasm there...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Coco Bonsai Pics

o

I had bought a few husked, shrink wrapped coconuts from the local Ralphs three months ago. I had used and eaten all but one, which I placed in my pantry to use at a later time. Well later time came and two weeks ago, to my surprise, I found it had sprouted under the plastic wrap. I carefully cut away the wrap as not to disturb the root and bud, and placed it in the patio to"harden". I did not want to expose the pale shoot to any direct son. Well, today I took a look at it, it is a healthy green/bronze color, so I planted it in a large pot, 15 inches of palm/cactus soil mixed with sand, and buried it halfway, with the sprout barely covered. I guess the plastic wrap , constant temperature and darkness of the pantry acted like a natural husk for the nut. I am keeping the nut outside for now- I live in Long Beach, Calif., and am hoping it will grow....... while cold weather and frost are very rare here, we did have one bad frost last winter that killed most of the banana tree's here in my area. But heck, thanks to global warming , I should be able to grow plenty of coconuts, bananas and durian in my own back yard!!!!!

o

Well,i would have said no.But,a post on DavesGarden a few weeks ago of a great looking indoor cocos nucifera in SEATTLE proved it can be done.Just plenty of window light-and they were just windows not skylights or atriums etc.
Dan,i think the Newport coco is just a botanical fluke..if it was not then anybody else in Newport could grow them-and from what i have read other cocos in Newport gave out in a couple of seasons. Plant Parajubeas or Howea for about the same effect..maybe one cocos to test-hee.

o

just wanted to bump this thrad up to 100posts! yea baby!!

o

Palmshaun,

I'm not sure if I'm detecting some sarcasm there...LOL

Your sarcasm detector did not fail you! LOL

Yeah, I found the pictures, and they are actually pretty cool but figured I'd give the newcomer a bit of a hard time.

o

Guys don't feel bad about not being being able to grow a coconut inside.. I can't even grow one outside in a pot !!!

o

Yeah, Topher, we noticed!

o

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

say i got 8 coconts and am try to grow them in central texas any body have tips on growin them if you do email me at
blu3_sid313@yahoo.com

o

Just bought a coconut tree sprout about 2 ft tall with several nice fronds. Live in zone 8 Charleston SC. I may have access to a friends greenhouse for our relatively short winters. My question is would this be preferable to over wintering in my home with south and west light exposure along with some supplemental light and a humidifier and fan. This seems a lot of expense and trouble but I would at least be able to see my tree every day. I would miss it in the greenhouse over the 3 or 4 month winter.

o

I have a 5ft Green Malayan coconut palm that looks like it is about to flower!!! It is sending up two shoots before a third has even fully grown!!! However, I dont know when the fronds will fan out, as mine still has whole fronds. If anyone could tell me when the fronds will fan out i would be very happy. I live in Maryland

o

Mark1954~ Yes, you will need a humidifier and fan, and maybe a 50 watt heat lamp placed about 3 feet from the leaves. Greenhouse or house, dosesnt matter as long as it stays warm, bright,and humid around your palm.
Sincerely, Tropichris

o

You can grow them insdie. I would recomend a DWARF tree to be grown inside. ANd if you keep it outwside in the summer months to get pollinated, it will grow coconuts. You do need to keep your house warm int he winter, and get 2 grow lights to help with the sunlight needed. And mist it almost every day with a water bottle (to simulate humidity.)

ONCE A WEEK SPRINKLE SEA SALT ON THE TOP OF THE SOIL Then when you water it it will slowly dislove into the soil! This is the best form of fertilizer for these trees! They thrive of salt water. BUt it needs to be sea salt, not table salt.

If you have any questions feel free to email me coco_joes_coconuts@yahoo.com or visit my website for other tips Awealthysoul.com

Thanks

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Coco Joes Coconuts

o

I have one that is 2 years old that I grew from seed. It is small for its age but is doing fine. I live in Canada, so it is too cold for it and it does not get enough light, but it is coping. I put it outside in the summer.

o

I've had mine for couple of years. It's 4 feet tall and loves attention.

400 watts of CFL supplement sunlight, and I need to water 2x a week.
I mist 2x a day, and have a humidifier for drier days. Temps never go below 72F.

I noticed the sea salt comment above - this sounds about right, although I use desert sand rather than sea salt.

o

I live in South Carolina and have recently bought a coconut palm tree from Key West, Florida. I have bought a blue light for plant growth, fan, heater, and humidifier. Is there any tips to make it grow faster or bigger?

o

COCO JOES,

I was just wondering if you meant to say Epson Salt instead of sea salt? Epsom salt has the nutrients and minerals that some palms need to grow (Magnesium) to help it process fertilizers and to have healthy green fronds!!!

Hope this helps!!

Laura in VB

o

See on face book:
www.facebook.com/cocobonsai

o

I wonder how long until I'll need a larger container and a green house for this? LOL

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I think it will out grow this about 45gal garbage container in 3-6 years, so for now she can over winter in the house.

o

see our collections of "Coco Bonsai"
the unique and stunning form of coconut tree in pot

www.cocobonsai.multiply.com
www.facebook.com/cocobonsai

Here is a link that might be useful: www.cocobonsai.multiply.com

o

my uncle brought a sprouted coconut palm to my country out of indonesia bali. Im pride, but the Winter in Netherland's are cold and it have badly damaged my coconut palm! I think it too cold here even indoors, to less sunshine, and only dark day's in the country, not possible to growing a coconut palm, those dark days are more keep a Christmas tree! I'm so disappoint about this, it's this, no one gives me advice, about right light spectrum i need to Grow lighs Coconut palm, I want also try grow Acai Palm. I actually talked to a person visit a greenhouse shop, he says, that i need T5 lamp or High presure soduin, Halide metal lamps HID. But a exper know better, you need Assimilation Lighting during October-November-december-January-February months, make day longer by 20 hours lighting plant and 8 hours dark, i think this that changes things, plant's Biological clock has changes for 28 hours a day. http://hi.baidu.com/jer0enr0land/album/Coconut Palm

o

I've had several coconuts over the years. I treat them like a short-lived novelty of a good trip to the tropics.

After several futile attempts at sprouting my own cocunuts that I collected in Hawaii or South Florida, I realized there was a better way to get a coconut from my travels. While digging through a pile of coconuts that had dropped from a canopy of mature palms, I noticed several that were growing small trees. I finally discovered one that would be perfect to take home with me--a small coconut that was not on the sand, rather it was perched on a pile of shells. It had a small (1") nub of its first sprout and a tiny root sprout on the bottom.

At home I put it in a pot with potting soil and there it thrived for years. I was lucky to have a VERY sunny south facing plate glass window/sliding doors that flooded my DC-area apartment with all-day sunlight in the winter. In the spring, summer and fall the palm went out on the balcony where I turned it regularly so the all the fronds would get direct sunlight over time. Spider mites were a problem. I would have to take a wet paper towel and wipe the fronds every week or so. Fortunately there were never more than 4 or 5, so it wasn't too labor intensive. They key to my success was the big, warm, sunny window and an easy move out to the balcony in the summer.

After a year or two, their new swords would open to reveal more and more splits so they'd look like a real palm, much like the photos "US MARINE" posted above. Eventually the palm would get too big or would just fail to thrive. I was lucky enough in my travels that I could pick up a new sprouted nut off of some tropical beach and start all over again. My last one didn't survive my move down to the Delaware Beaches. The house isn't as warm and sunny as my condo was and I moved during the winter months. I had to cut back some of the biggest fronds and it never took to the cooler, dimmer location.

When growing a coconut indoors. Just treat it like a treasured, temporary visitor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here