Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Anybody growing Trachycarpus Oreophilus ?

butiaman
12 years ago

I've been thinking about buying some T.oreophilus seeds off ebay.Everything I've found on them says there cold hardy to zone 8a.Is this true or not?If so,are they easy to germinate,and how long does it normally take?Also,how fast or slow do they grow?Why I ask is because I havent seen anybody talking about this palm on here.Thanks to anybody who can help.

Randy

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Trachycarpus Oreophilus is more of a zone 8b palm (maybe even more tender than that). They are pretty slow to grow from seed, I would look for maybe some small seedlings, but Oreophilus probably will at least need a good microclimate to do well.
    I personally am a bigger fan of Trachycarpus latisectus. Apparently T. latisectus is not that cold tolerant when young, but might be as cold tolerant as Fortunei when older (there are reports of it taking some very nasty cold near their native habitat as large plants, and coming out of it really well). They are beautiful palms, but will also probably need good protection, just in case.

You have to be careful to get the seeds from a reputable person because the rarer trachys are very difficult to find and they can easily be giving you plain T. fortunei's without you knowing it.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Oreophilus is does not have a high germination rate generally.

A beautiful palm in the same group as Takil and Manipur,some
    believe they are all the same palm.

This is probably not a very cold hardy Trachy and combined with it's
    slow growth rate would make it a challenge...
    esp in regard to s-pull recovery-it is however
    one of the most beautiful Trachys and is worth trying if you
    don't mind putting in a little effort to ensure it's survival.

I have had no success growing this one and like with many palms,
    it's sometimes just is a matter of finding a strong one.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys,
    I checked many sites and some said there cold hardy to 10f,and some say 20f.Daves Garden rates it a zone 8a palm,but which zone 8a.I know there is a lot of difference in a western zone 8a compared to a eastern zone 8a.

Alex,
    I like T.latisectus palms also.Everything I find on them says there a zone 9a palm.There is a seller on ebay tho who is selling small latisectus palms.He says there a zone 8a palm.Which zone 8a?I'm weary also about Trachy seeds because I dont know the difference in them,what size and what they should look like.

Jim,
    I've read the samething about T.oreophilus and Takils and Manipur.Some claim they could all be the same palm.Information on Trachy palms can be very confusing :(
    In your opinion Jim,what is the most knowledgeable site on Trachycarpus palms that you know of.If you know Alex,also plesae let me know.

Paul at PalmsWholesale emailed me and said he has a 15gal.Takil for $100.I dident think there were any growing in the US that big.What's both of yours opinion?Could it be a real Takil that big?What's the best way to tell?

Thanks again,Randy

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I would suggest joining EPS and read through all their old threads using the search feature.
    The only place I know of in the states that has larger sized Takil
    is in the San Fransisco area,they do not mail order and even some
    of their stock appears to be hybrids with Fortunei and most likely Nainital.

I would ask for pictures of the "Takil" they claim to be selling,
    it is HIGHLY unlikely they have Takil that size as the REAL
    seeds only became available a few years ago so-how could they be that big???

When you receive the picture post them on here,I bet they are Nainital.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPS

• neonrider
    10 years ago

I am growing Trachycarpus ukhrulensis in pots. I had 6 of these germinate (don't remember how many seeds I had, I think I had 20 seeds). They germinated over 3 years ago and still are very small plants, most are still seedlings and are growing very very slowly. 2 of them died. Not from cold, maybe from overwatering. Only one is larger, probabaly 1 1/2 ft. in overall eight. They are extremely sensitive to overwatering and to something else. Are they a.k.a. of Trachycarpus oreophilus?

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

Princeps,Oreophilus,Manipur and Takil can be tricky from seed as they have a tendency to damp off.

• jaynboro
    10 years ago

Hey Jim, what does "damp off" mean? Thanks Jay

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

It means they rot basically.

• neonrider
    10 years ago

I just found out that Trachycarpus ukhrulensis is called Saramati Palm and is not T. oreophilus, but anyway the Saramati Palm is nearly impossible to grow as it grows slowest of any other palms and is struggling or dieing as seedlings. Where can you see a 10-15 inch "seedling" with a handful of leaves and it is already over 3 years old.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

It is not T.Oreophilus, the palm you are referring to(T.Ukhrulensis) is T.Manipur.

• Debra McIntosh
    3 years ago

I planted this palm about 10 years ago. I never knew what it was. Now it has these seed pods growing? Google says its a Trachycarpus oreophilus

• Debra McIntosh
    3 years ago

I planted this about 10 years ago not knowing anything but it was a palm tree. Now it is growing these seed pods. Google lens says it's a Trachycarpus oreophilus. Anyone know?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals