Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urgent help!!!

Posted by Hunter_M Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 23:42

I just got back from Kentucky to find these little centipede things crawling all over the soil of my majesty palm! I had these things last year and I just changed out the soil and it was fine. I think these are harmful but I need to be sure.
I would post tommorrow because of how late it is but I really need to know what these things are.
I tried to get good pics of them.
Thanks!
-Hunter
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urgent help!!!

Im not sure what kind of bug that is (I guess they dont live around here since I dont think I've ever seen them), but bugs are definitely something you will find in the soil of your plants and its usually not too much of a problem. I've never had a bug on my potted plants that have eaten the roots of my plants (I had problems with sap sucking bugs like aphids and white flies which are visible from above the soil).

Hopefully someone has an ID for you. If it is a bad bug, then maybe Neem Oil can help. The stuff smells terrible, but its orgainic and non-toxic. It wont kill good bugs like Lady Bugs, but it will kill many pests like Aphids or whiteflies). You can water it into the soil and it wont harm the plant (the plant absorbs it and it basically makes the plant "taste bad" so sap sucking insects wont want to eat it). If you do add neem oil, make sure the plant is not in direct sunlight for at least 24 hours after applying and make sure that you do it outside so your entire house doesnt smell like it!

Good luck!
-Alex

o

Nothing to be worried about. I have some of those here in coastal L.A. They don't hurt our plants, so chill. :)

o

Hi Hunter,

We have them here in Va Beach too!

Sometimes it seems llike they even come up from the vents. I think they are looking for moisture if they are on the move, so it may be good because that means your trees are finally drying out!! Which is a good thing!! That would tell me that the little critters are searching for another source of water. I sometimes find them curled up after looking for more moisture...then they finally croak!!! LOL!!!

They come around at times...so no worries!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

o

I dont know what that is, but i would go to the Home Depot and buy that Insecticidal soap. I think it might get ride of them.

o

I have seen these in a couple of my 7-8 inch canary island date palm seedlings, these palms were started from seed and transplanted in susposedly sterilized soil. Would it be ok to use a herbal insecticide soap on the soil?

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here