Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andalucia123_gw

Why can`t I find much palm varieties here in So Ca

Andalucia123
9 years ago

I moved to Camarillo Zone 10 from IN, I wanted to add tropical feel to my backyard ,I have visited dozen nurseries around in Ventura County, all the palms they have are king ,queen ,pygmy ,mexican and canaries which are all over the place here .
Once you inquire about other varieties like phoenix dactylifera or Phoenix sylvestris ,they mumble and open the plants cyclopedia book to see how they look and then say
(if it was growing here we would have been selling it )
There are about 15 mature phoenix dactylifera tree in Camarillo outlet mall .
I am tired of looking around ,I found those palms in Florida ,I read about them ,I don`t see a reason why they should not be growing in my zone unless somebody on this forum can advice me not to
any thoughts ?

This post was edited by Andalucia123 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 1:23

Comments (14)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Have you tried some of the non chain exotic nurseries? What about the guy in La Conchita?

lotus land in Montecito has a nice collection. Maybe a docent can help you. I am in Santa Barbara so fairly close but not sure who sells what in Ventura

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Gotta look around⦠there are palm growers right there in your new home town with over 250 species of maturing palms growing in their yards. There are a lot of palm specialty nurseries in southern California⦠unfortunately not too many in your area⦠gotta go south of Los Angeles and you find literally over 1000 species of palms to purchase if you like (not all will survive your climate, however). However, if you keep looking at nurseries, even in your area, you will find at least 20 different species of palm. If you want Date Palms, you may have to drive south of LA (tons of them for sale in Orange and San Diego counties).

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

You must not be looking in the right places. I've seen bismarkias at the HD on Sunset in Hollywood, but most rare palms are found in specialty nurseries dotted up and down the state. I know of at least one place in Lake Elsinore that has just about every palm and cycad that can grow in SoCal.

There are nurseries in Carpinteria that carry tons of exotics for your zone. One of them has a beautiful grove of shaving brush palms overlooking the ocean.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yes: big box store plant departments aren't nurseries, they are plant departments - often you could just as well go to the plumbing parts section of the same store and ask about palm trees. In fact, I suppose in any given instance the employee stocking the plant shelves might have been stocking plumbing parts the previous day. Or an hour ago. If you want independent garden center selection and service, go to one.

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

Also, I know this is strictly a matter of preference, but there are more tropical looking palms than the phoenix species. Phoenix palms all tend to give a desert look to a landscape (except for maybe phoenix rupicola.) Look for caryota, Rhopalostylis or kentia species. All of which should do well for you there.

Welcome to the Golden State!

• Andalucia123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for feedback, I was getting the same answer from the nurseries here, to go look in LA and SD
    If you could (name) the nursery with location that could have such palms I really appreciate it , I am new here and hopping in my car cruising the area looking for nurseries
    is impossible

• pabloverde
    9 years ago

Since you don't mind the drive, I would humbly suggest that you visit Jungle Music in Encinitas. The variety of palms offered is overwhelming and they seem to have a good selections of sizes (liners up to boxes).

If you go to their web site (www.junglemusic.net) I suggest you go to the "Check out the blog". It's a great intro to many palms that do well in CA with lots of pictures showing various stages. I've learned a lot.

For the record, I live in Atlanta, GA so most of what I've purchased from Jungle Music has been shipped as 5 gallon or smaller. More cycads than palms. Always great stuff.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Paul

• Andalucia123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul,
    Let me humbly say
    YOU ARE MY SAVIOR ! I love you man
    I almost lost hope, and was going to order them online from Florida despite many warning
    I just can`t believe that this place is even existed ,
    Finally my dream will come true !

Truly yours
    Omar

• daxin
    9 years ago

You need to join the Palm Society of Southern California. Even though there are not many palm nurseries in Ventura County, there are several fantastic palm gardens. Google "Pauleen Sullivan Palm" and you will see fantastic specimens of Dypsis decipiens, Ceroxylon ventricosum, Hedyscepe canterburyana, and Chambeyronia macrocarpa. It is a must-see garden for all palm enthusiasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: One tour log of Pauleen Sullivan's gardens

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

KW Palms and Cycads in Lake Elsinore. Look for them online! He carries pretty much every palm and cycad known to survive in SoCal.

• Andalucia123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daxin, Cental Cali
    Thank you both for the info, that was very helpful
    I ll definitely check them out

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I envy you having a clean slate in such a good climate. Don't waste it!!! Get some really cool things that can only grow there!

• Jesse Machuca-Vega (SoCal 9B)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I suggest you go to the arboretum in Arcadia or the Huntington library in San Marino, and you will see EXACTLY what grows in zones 9 and 10. The trees have tags giving names, then go online and buy them. That's what I do.

You will be amazed at the exotic tropicals that CAN grow outdoors here!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

It is surprising what grows here. We don't have anything near tropical temps,especially in the bay area. And when I first started I was used to Redwoods with the "tropical" Camellia . King palms at first sight seemed like a miracle-lol.

On the other hand..you would be best to keep in mind the lower humidity and the lack of water. I've read of hard core palm people removing many of the water guzzler rain forest palms,and concentrating on those that combine exotic with lower water needs.

You want a garden you can enjoy,not one that becomes a burden as water needs aren't met.