How to graft palm?

iskhan
12 years ago

Hi

How to graft palm?

Comments (30)

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Don't think it's possible. You can air layer some Chamaedoreas, but I think that's about the limit of any stem/trunk manipulation that is likely to result in a living tree

• don_licuala
    12 years ago

Basically no.
    You may find some of the Phoenixes sucker, and those can be removed and planted.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

But wouldn't it be nice if we could graft zone 9 or 10 palms into the hardiest needle palm rootstock?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Its definitely impossible to graft a palm. There isnt really much of a reason to graft a palm anyways. Even if you were to graft a tropical palm onto a cold tolerant, my guess would be that the tropical palm would die in the cold and the root stock would live (but it would die unless it could reproduce by pupping since palms only have one central growing point which is the same reason why palms cant be grafted).
    -Alex

• Prolific_Seeds
    10 years ago

Please, if you could humour my ignorance for a moment, I am totally fascinated by this and would be really interested in getting some choice fruits to grow from these massive palms (higher than the roof on a 2 double story house) that have been planted in the middle of road circles in my neighbourhood.

Besides figuring it out geometrically, Is there a sap incompatibility reason why you cant mix say citrus fruit or maybe berries or tomatoes to a palm tree?
    I know they arent very popular in my area because they drink a lot of water in place of indigenous plants so maybe they transport a lot of nutrients aswell?

Thanks in advance

• us_marine
    10 years ago

Their genetics are too different. It would be like trying to cross a cat and a dog. And actually that palm is pretty drought tolerant. It may be cold winters that make them not so popular? How often does it drop below 20f?

- US_Marine

• Prolific_Seeds
    10 years ago

Oohh ofcourse, I see haha. Thank you US_Marine :)
    They do certainly look like light drinking palms! :S
    Below 20f? maybe 3-10 days in july slightly and in decembers it gets to around 48f min in a day. I'm in Cape Town and the summers have less rain and lots of coastal mist.
    After looking further, I see that you have to be quite particular with which two species you cross.
    Maybe dates or coconuts would be compatible somehow?

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

I am currently working on a coconut cross right now. However it is not with the date palm. The chromozones need to match up and that is not the case with the Cocos and the date.

• us_marine
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, as far I know no palm as been successfully crossed with the coconut. If i remember right the closest palm genetically is the Queen Palm . On palmtalk there is someone who might have a Coco and Butia mix. But it has not been confirmed yet. It would be cool if a coco hybrid could be made.

The Queen palm does look like a close relative to the coco but beccariophoenix alfredii looks much closer. I'm not sure if they have mapped out its dna yet though. I'd like to see if this one could be crossed.

- US_Marine

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

i am very interested in the grafted coconut tree. if any of you make some progress please tell me.
    also if by any chance any of you get hold of a Babassu tree and see if a coconut can be grafted on it.

• jimhardy
    9 years ago

Probably have more luck grafting someone elses head on to you...
    and this would probably solve the issue too...unless-
    your head is grafted on someone else.

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

yeah there is an Italian Doctor who claims it is possible, he came close with rats.

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

alas i heard that some people did see palm hybrids in some places

• jimhardy
    9 years ago

Usually the palm hybrids are from using pollen
    from anther variety and dusting the female palm.

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

that's interesting, has anyone yet made progress on a coconut hybred? can you just graft the reproductive organs?

• jimhardy
    9 years ago

I think there is a Coconut that was crosssed with a Butia.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29228-butia-x-cocos-n/

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

thanks, that can be very useful.
    i am a interested in agriculture and with grafting coconut for industrial purpuses. what literature is useful to read?

• softmentor
    9 years ago

crossing with pollen, yes, some can.. grafting - impossible

• Liran Shoham
    9 years ago

well how was it tried?

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

Have never heard of it happening, but I'd be doubtful about it being successful. You could always try, then publish the results.

Which species do you have, there are lots of Mexican palms.

• Maria Biggs
    5 years ago

Mexican Fan Palm - Washingtonia robusta

• palmbob
    5 years ago

Can't be done as far as I know... just have to cut it down and grow a new one if you want a shorter one.

• aidaf7
    4 years ago

I'm hoping someone can really help me. I have a 5 foot tall Chamaedora Palm house plant that has lost several of his lower leaves due to my apartment always being cold even with heaters on. And because of that the lower trunk is long and bare and it looks horrible. Can I air-layer or graft it? Also there is new growth but I'm not sure if they're the weird flowers of new leaves.

• aidaf7
    4 years ago

I also use a humidifier but it doesn't seem to do anything.

• tropicbreezent
    4 years ago

Do you know which species of Chamaedorea it is? Also, photos would help.

• aidaf7
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@tropicbreezent Thank you and I'm sorry for the late response but thank you for asking... I

just assumed it was a Chamaedorea but not sure but here are some pics.

• aidaf7
    4 years ago

Here's a better view of the leaves.

• aidaf7
    4 years ago

These are the bare trunks.

• tropicbreezent
    4 years ago

Looks like Chamaedorea seifrizii, Bamboo Palm. They grow like that, tall bare trunks. They're a clumping palm and produce new shoots from the bottom, the trunks end up bare most of the way. Haven't tried air layering but, like with grafting, I don't think it will work. if you cut the existing trunks off it should sprout new ones which will be small for a while.

I have some that are over 3 metres tall. Probably not what most people would like as an indoor plant with bare stems. Chamaedorea elegans, Parlour Palm, is better for indoors as it's single trunk, very slow growing and doesn't have so much of that bare trunk appearance. They're often sold in pots with multiple plants giving them that clumping look.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County