Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small clumping palm suggestions?

Posted by alby 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 20, 06 at 11:08

Hello- I am looking for a small clumping palm to be used as a privacy screen in full sun. They'll be under utility lines so they need to be under 20' or so. Someone on a local radio show keeps insisting that bamboo palm, chamaedorea siefritzii, can be full sun, but I'm reluctant to try that. Don't want to spend alot of time growing them only to find that they lanquish in full sun. Although the look of that palm would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small clumping palm suggestions?

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 20, 06 at 13:10

The chamaedorea that can take the most sun is plumosa, but it is solitary, not suckering, though the height would fit your needs.

Have you considered Dypsis lutescens? My understanding is it's commonly used for screening in Florida, grows very well there, is suckering or clumping, and fits your height requirements. Also relatively inexpensive and readily available.

o

Hi here is a link that may help check it out ....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.junglemusic.net/palms/

o

I sometimes think reading various sites and descriptions of various palms on various web sites, that some folks call any palm a "clumping" palm , when two or more are planted close togehter , whether they produce offsets to be natural clumpers or are just planted that way intentionally. At any rate I sometimes wonder how long those clumpers take to grow a very nice clump from a single plant , from the time the first one is planted?? The reason I ask , is because I'm thinking of starting a Rhapis multifida in a container , but do want it to fill out quickly, or would it be wiser to plant two or more from the beginning for a fuller look?

o

Needle palm would be a good choice I would think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here