Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

needle palms in the snow

islandbreeze
11 years ago

This one is on the northeast side of the house.

Comments (13)

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are planted on the south side...

• chadec
    11 years ago

Those needles are really enjoying the snow. Do you plan on leaving them unprotected still?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The forecast is predicting 16 for a low tonight. That is the coldest temp so far this season. I will cover them with burlap only for the coldest weather, but I'll have to wait until the snow melts off them to cover them. The snowstorm caught me off guard yesterday, and by the time I got home from work, we already had several inches of snow. But they will not be covered all winter.

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

Nice pics. Needles are my new fav palms.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

we just got a bit of your snow island maybe a inch or 2 but mine have been covered up for a few months now. good luck with it

• miketropic
    11 years ago

how are your other palms getting along in the cold weather..really curious about the butia..You might have told me but where did you get that one. I have been looking all over for a decent sized one with no luck. want to see how yours does in a cold winter and then I'll play catch up.

• User
    11 years ago

Mike, why wait for a "decent-sized one"? Pindos grow faster than most any palm I have. They grow so fast that I soon have no option but to plant them in the ground. I bought two, two winters ago, that are now too big for my largest containers! Purchased on eBay.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

usually comes down to price lol. I buy sooo many plants not just palms my budget gets streched thin fast. I do hate to wait for palms to grow but sometimes I have to get a smaller version. I'll look around at them and see what I find.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Earthworm.

Mike, I also have a row of Sabal Minor along the west side of the house that are in the same boat as the needles, uncovered, but covered with snow. Those will get covered with rose cone covers as soon as the snow melts. 3 of the 4 are newly planted this past season. The other one survived last winter with a rose cone cover.

The butia is doing well, covered with burlap and a clear plastic bag over it. I bought it from Kmart of all places as a blue pot special. It was definitely oversized for the blue pot. It's the stiff form. Njoasis is right, butias seem to grow fast for me as well. At least the stiff forms do. The droopy don't grow as quickly for me. I have a larger one that is probably my fastest growing palm. It's about a 25 gallon size.

I plan to treat it like my trachy's, just turning the lights on at a warmer temp.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looking good-

Thats a nice collection of Needle palms!

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jim

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Your snow won't be melting off any time soon at 16 degrees. Its supposed to stay cold in the north for a while now. Im visiting western ny and to be under freezing for at least a week.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

its snowing really hard here at the moment...not happy

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County