kokomo_jb

Long Island Needle Palm By Kokomo JB

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

I have 5 Needles...all about 3-4 feet tall

Comments (14)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Wow, awesome needle palm! Im hoping to redo the backyard this spring and if I do, I'm going to make a spot that would be perfect for 2 needle palms to fill up. They are awesome palms, probably the only palms that you can grow here without ever worrying a little about what the cold might do to them.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me know if I can help you. I will give you the Gardenweb discount : ) they are impressive and cheaper than you think.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Thanks! If I get my backyard redone in the spring, I'll likely be using needle palms (if i don't get my yard done in the spring, I won't have room for the needle palms yet).
    I'll contact you if I'm looking for needle palms!
    -Alex

• coconutmike
    10 years ago

We have some big Needle Palms in Montreal My biggest is almost 8 FT . I did sell 1 to a buddy on the south shore of Montreal that was between 9-10 feet tall just about full maturity. I did send some to my other buddy Jack on Long Island who just completed his backyard. Here is a video of the palms when they arrived here.
    Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: needle palm

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Wow, those needle palms are HUGE!
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just came back from Boca Raton. This is a picture of an impressive Needle in a pot at the entrance to Boca West Country Club's Aquatic Center. Probably 6-7 ft tall no counting the pot it's in.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same plant

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

Kokomo, I think that plant in the last two photos is actually Raphis excelsa.

• subtropix
    10 years ago

That's what I thought Central Cali.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could be wrong, but I saw the needles coming off the trunks and the fan palms coupled with the "ovular" leaves and immediately thought Needle palm. I'm sure you guys are right.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Beautiful pic. Definitely looks like a nice clump of Rhapis to me too! They have decent cold tolerance, they should survive down to 20F. I've always wanted to try them in the ground with protection, but they are very slow growing so any cold damage would be pretty noticable for a while.
    -Alex

• chadec
    10 years ago

Alex, if you can get a 7 gallon needle you will not protection and they will survive well below 20F. I think it can be hit or miss with blue pots. Mine is 4' now and the only damage it has had was because I transplanted it in October.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Beautiful needle palm Chadec! I was talking about trying a Rhapis palm haha. The blue pot needle palms are defintiely hit or miss. I tried them once and got spear pull at 14F. The pups survived but I got rid of the palm anyways. since it would have taken way too long to look nice again and I don't have a lot of space to begin with. As soon as I re-do my backyard, I'm planning on getting 2 nice sized needle palms!
    When did you plant your needle and what size was it?
    -Alex

• chadec
    10 years ago

I see now, thats what I get looking at the forum so late at nite.lol I bought the needle as a 7 gallon 5 yrs ago. Definitely wish I would have bought another one now instead of my chammy. I really like the trouble free aspect of them. Plus I would love to to find a male to germinate seed. I apparently have the right mixture of minors now cause seedlings are popping up every where.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company