Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Long Island Mule Palm By Kokomo JB

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

Erik Brown sent me this little fella last spring. It was about 2 feet tall when I got it. I love this little guy and it's toughness to this weather has been amazing. I credit Erik and his Mule Palm Nursery for growing such superior specimens. He is the only palm I have named...I call him Eeyore after the mule in Winnie The Pooh. Basically, Eeyore is the early warning system to the Pindos. I know if the mule can take it, the Pindos can as well.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 15:38

Comments (17)

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

A thermometer would be cheaper...but not as nice(-:

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL! Jim.
    All natural methods up here. I will say, that I am incredibly impressed with the Mule Palm. It is as stubborn as its name-sake.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Awesome Mule palm! I was thinking of getting a mule palm from Erik on e-Bay. What size is the one in your picture? Looks beautiful!
    I hope it survives for you, it definitely looks like it's laughing at the snow and cold so far. I've always wanted to give some of my plants names, but I figure it would hurt more if it doesn't make it haha.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe Erik sent me a 7 Gallon one. Hardy and tough, already transplanted it twice-no shock at all. Erik breeds a great product and I highly recommend getting at least a 7 gallon from him. They are cheap and fun to have and possess.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 13:14

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what he looked like right out of the box and planted

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 13:18

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

It really is a beautiful palm! If I manage to make the room, I'll definitely be trying one in the spring.

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

Jason with the temps you have had it is still looking damn good. That was a 3 gallon Mule palm I sent you and not a 7 gallon.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the clarification Erik. It was a very impressive size for a 3 Gallon.
    It just went through a snow/sleet/rain storm over the past 20 hours and is looking great. As I have said, given its size, it is truly amazing to see it stand up to these weather conditions. If things remain the same, I', gonna have to have the truck make a special stop at your nursery and get me a 9 footer to plant up here!

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Taken today after Electra rolled thru with Snow, Ice and Rain

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

Awesome. Hope you do not mind. I would like to share that photo.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Be my guest!

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

I remember trying to get one of those a few years back and was told I could not buy just one 0 :

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,

Erik can have one shipped to your door just in time to cover it with tinsel. :)
    Below is one of Erik's Mule's at EPCOT Center.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 17:21

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Nice Mule! I know exactly where that Mule Palm at Epcot is, it's a really nice one!
    There's another great mule palm near the Africa area.
    Those 3 gallon mule palms that Erik has are really big! Hard to get pindo palms at that size and price on the internet let alone mules. I'll probably be trying one in the spring.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

This one is at Epcot as well. Planted during the construction as a 10ft over all specimen plucked out of a field of Butia's from what I was told.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

The more I look at these the more I want one. I will see how kokomos gets on in the spring and I may have to order one up seeing our weather has been about the same this winter and his had no protection.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus