Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Caryota mitis (fish tail palm)

User
11 years ago

These are beautiful palms for the house as long as there is space! This is going to be the last winter season for this one in the basement as top is hitting the seven foot ceiling. Not a dungeon, the basement gets some direct sun and lots of florescent background light. Easy palm though. Likes...

Shade from hot sun, good for bright indirect
Consistent watering, not too drought tolerant
Maybe some wind protection outside because they get so top heavy

If you have ever seen them grown outside, you would see how different they are from most other palms--forming a thicket of dense vegetation starting at ground level. If this were hardy for me, I would rip out my bamboo as the privacy hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (22)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I do really like them but I really have to cut back on the indoor overwintering plants I have so many already

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cut back?

I do too. Used to have a two car, loft garage. Now it's a greenhouse for the really big palms--Queens, Date Palms, and citrus trees mostly. What can I say. I had wanted to relocate to South Fl. at one point but decided to stay and bring S. Fl. to me.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

Ive been talking about south FL for about 3 years now. It dosent look like its going to happen any time soon though. I was kind of thinking the same with the loft garage but make the roof the clear acrylic to let in light and have a green house over the garage. any pictures of it you would like to share? Id def get a fishtail then..probably a varigated one LOL

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The light gets into the garage through the doors--replaced with glass. Facing due south, unobstructed. Roof is solid but in the process of being painted white. Also put in two windows at the second story level. Filled with plants now. In the summer, it's empty save for a refrigerator filled with beer. I guess this makes it officially a..."man cave".

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Nice palm!

I tried ordering a variegated one last year but it was seized!

I do have a C.Maxima,that is doing well and will probably take off next year(-:

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I decided to get a var. ginko tree instead..less trouble and the leaf looks similar, and it stays out all winter long. There is a us supplier of varigated fishtails though if I ever do want one.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

for most of California, a poor choice for outdoor palm, but a few examples stand out as looking OK. Here's one in Santa Barbara

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Here's one in La Habra

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

this one in the Los Angeles arboretum shows the more ratty look these have year round (and this is when this one looks best).

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That one looks nothing like the ones I've seen in Miami! Not a good choice for Calif. as these are water lovers big time. In fact, I lost my previous potted specimen due to missed watering and once they start doing downhill--too late. Thinking of trying C. gigas.

Anyone know which species is cold hardiest.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

They're certainly not good in full sun. Especially if they're not getting a lot of water. I have a very large one that looks permanently 'rat-eaten'. I've been cutting out the larger trunks to stop it from flowering/seeding. Another couple of medium sized ones are in shade and look 100% better. I also cut out their larger trunks to stop any seeding. I already get too many seedlings coming up from seeds carried in from elsewhere by birds and flying foxes.

My favourite of the Caryotas is C. zebrina (which I have) or C. ophiopellis (which I don't have).

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here's a shot of some Caryotas in Hawaii... C obtusa (what was once C gigs) is on right, C mitts on left and all the rest are probably C urens/maximas.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I personally can't tell the difference between C ophiopelis and C zebrina, at least based on plants that have been identifies as such (they could have been wrong). This is a shot of C ophiopelis in Hawaii

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

here is a close up of C ophiopelis

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and here is C zebrina

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and a close up

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

and another close up here

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

either way, neither of these species can be grown outdoors in California... just too cold for them (even with tons of water. Here is the only example of one I have ever seen, in one of the very best microclimates in all of southern California!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting these beautiful pics lzrddr.. I just ordered a C. obtusa. Was reading about the species and got very confused--probably because the exerts still seem confused about speciation in the genus. So C. gigas and C. obtusa are considered the same species now and obtusa is the latest agreed upon name (not gigas).

How does this species do in Calif. btw?

• miketropic
    11 years ago

care to share your palm source? I plan on making a big buy in the spring and I want to get the most bang for my buck you know.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Obtusa does pretty good in California.

{{gwi:1182492}}

{{gwi:1182493}}

- US_Marine

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

C ophiopelis has narrower leaflets than C. zebrina. Also C. zebrina comes from higher altitudes so probably copes better with cold. This is one of my zebrinas.