Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Is this coconut a dwarf?

User
12 years ago

When I purchased it (a couple of years ago), it was advertised as a dwarf. But I have my doubts. Other dwarfs I have had had pleated leaves at a much smaller size/height. PS., I was looking for something to throw into the picture for scale (like a can) when the cat wondered into the frame--just a big ham she is!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I do think its a dwarf because I have a dwarf and a tall and the tall variety is already almost as tall as I am and still has no signs of leaves dividing whereas my dwarf is probably about the same size as yours, but with fully adult leaves.

Maybe you have a semi-dwarf. Or maybe you do have a dwarf, but its just not as dwarf as some other varieties (Samoan Dwarf is a dwarf vaireity and Mayalan Dwarf is a dwarf variety, but Samoan will be smaller than Mallyan).

Your coco looks very happy and healthy though!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex, you answered my question fully. Sure this one is much larger than my previous "dwarf" which had pleated leaves as a MUCH smaller plant. But it has not posed any problems in care and perhaps that is the most important concern.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Don't know about the palm but that is a cute cat!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, she's a gem all right--a feral off the streets of Brooklyn. Funny how so many people have a problem with cats eating their plants or owners worried about poisonous plants. Truth is, always had cat (and dogs) and they have never been poisoned by any of my plants--and I have plenty of potentially poisonous plants. Animals are not stupid. Also, I notice, palms tend not to be eaten by animals (domesticated or wild)--the deer never eat the outdoor Needles or Trachys.--And believe me, the deer WILL eat just about ANYTHING when they get hungry! Happy Holidays!

• andyandy
    12 years ago

I'd say it is a Maypan or a tall. The color looks just like my pacific tall but talls have been crossed with dwarfs and I belive that is what they call Maypans. It looks great in any case. I lost one of my two coconuts a month ago. the new grwoth got chewed up by some earwigs over the summer and it started dieing a slow death. I put it out of its misery by putting it out ins some sub 20 degree nights.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Maypans are a Tall x Malayan Dwarf.--Apparently, this was done to combat Lethal Yellowing as the Dwarfs are immune to it. So far, I have been thrilled with its performance. Mine goes outside in the growing season in full sun and is overwintered in the basement under artificial light but I occasionally bring it to the surface for direct, natural, winter sun. Definitely prefer the dwarfs or semi-dwarf coconuts as I have limited ceiling height in the house. Thanks for all the info. (The Queens can handle the cold of the garage and need its two stories of vertical height.)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH