Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

Strange palm need ID

miketropic
11 years ago

Sadly I don't have a picture right at the moment soo.. I was at the mall doing some xmas shopping yesterday and I walked past one of there large planters and in it there were what looked to be palm trees but none I had ever seen. the stems were about 2 inch in dia. and had hair all the way up it with the tip being pointed but no spear leaves as I could tell. there were about 5 or more in a pot. then it had leaves ( looked like a trechy type leaf ) growing from the sides here and there near the end of the "trunk". sort of needle palm like. it was very similar to a needle palm but the leaves were differant and the trunks were to thin. they were about 2-3ft but only 2 inch around. I will get a picture next time I'm there and I know its a ruff discription but any ideas?

Comments (15)

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

You must have seen a Rhapis excelsa, very common palm for indoor plantings.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well that was easy lol. after looking over some photos of them I do believe that is what was in the pot...might have to try and get me one.do they send out pups or are they single trunked unless you group them together?

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

I do believe they are clumping. They are great indoor plants,i highly recommend getting one.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I came upon a pic of a varigated one and I really want it but havent been able to find one for sale.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Usually the variegated ones are very expensive and slightly slower growing than the normal variety (which is pretty slow growing to begin with).
    Rhapis is a beautiful family of palms and they might be the best palms you can grow indoors! I really like Rhapis humilis for it's faster growth, and Rhapis multifida is another nice one, almost having an Acoelorrhaphe wrightii look to it!

Most Rhapis are suckering, but because of their slow growth, dont expect a lot of new plants for a while, especially when grown indoors where they often only make 1-2 fronds a year!

-Alex

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am really starting to like them if I can ever track down a good supplier I will get some Im sure

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I have both R. excelsa and R. humilis. They are slow growing, but the humilis seems a bit faster than the other. I tried splitting a dense clump of R. excelsa in a pot. Turned out most of the plants were Dypsis madagascariensis. The pot had been sitting under one of those and got showered with seed. The Dypsis all took well to the separation/transplant but the Rhapis still hasn't properly recovered. Two other clumps of Rhapis that I didn't interfere with are doing very well.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I am going to Florida on vacation this year and if I am anywhere close to Ft. Meyer there is a large nursery that has several types of var. lady palms. I do wish I could find some around here for sale though..I thought about "borrowing" one from that pot at the mall that I noticed LOL

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

If you go to home depot or whatever plant source is around you, just ask the people that work there if they can order some lady palms? Better then getting jail time for borrowing a plant from a mall lol

• User
    11 years ago

Personally, I refer he all green ones to the variegated--which, I imagine, are more expensive than the non-variegated. (They go crazy over the more unusual varieties in Japan.) Raphis may not be the fastest grower, but it is robust, suckers readily, is easiy propagated and should be more available.

Terrific indoor palm, only problem is that they have rather poor drought tolerance and can go into decline fast if you neglect watering. Not a palm though for that hot, dry, sunny site.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

how about hot wet and sunny? I wasnt thinking of growin it outside but if I had some offsets I might try them to see what happens. I water EVERY day sometimes twice a day in heat waves so I doubt the drying out would be a problem just didnt know it could take sun or not

• User
    11 years ago

They are not winter hardy to zone 7. I grow mine containerized. They are outside for much of the year--in a shaded spot. I would not grow them in full sun outside unless maybe your summer is really cool. They like moderate temps, even moisture, and shading from strong sun--which makes them good house palms.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

guess they will have to stay in container inside in the winter and out in the shade patch in the summer...now off to find a big one for cheap..

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

There are some rhapis that handle sun pretty well, but the most commonly found one, Rhapis excelsa is not very sun tolerant. I have seen some Rhapis humilis in Florida thriving in a partial sun location. R. humilis looks a lot like R. excelsa. The main difference between the 2 is that R. humilis grows faster and taller than excelsa, but it takes a while to get tall so it is a good potted palm too!

-Alex

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

R. humilis also has finer leaflets than excelsa.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus