Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Banana Seeds in todays store bought bananas

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

I hear everywhere that bananas that you can buy today NEVER contain seeds EVER. But I got a banana for part of my lunch today, and I found these black hard dots that are about the size of a pencil tip(1mm). They sink to the bottom of my water bottle when I put them in. The fruit around the dots is separating + falling off, and the dots are holding together pretty strong. I'm pretty sure those are seeds. But g** forbid, if they're not, can you tell me what they are? Thanks in advanced. PS, I heard that bananas are not palms, so is this the right forum to post this question? Thanks for that answer too.

Comments (9)

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

The store bought bananas will not have viable seeds. They do have seeds as you have discovered but they will not sprout. This is a result of humans breading bananas to have smaller and smaller seeds until the seeds could no longer germinate.
    There are many other tropical fruits you could easily grow from the super market. Taro root, papaya, pineapple, ginger etc.

And bananas are not palms, but since the banana forum is basically dead its all good.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

banana seeds can range from the size of a BB to a grape depending on the type but the gran nain type from the store will never germinate and for where your located would be a poor choice if you were ever trying to get fruit.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What species of bananas are edible? I'm going to buy one from ebay, but I want it to be edible. Thanks.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and if I were to grow one from seed, can I use styrofoam cups as peat pots to plant them in? Or is that dangerous?

• miketropic
    11 years ago

no edible banana will overwinter where you are and fruit I don't imagein. there are some types that will do alright and possible fruit if you grow them in maybe a 30 gallon pot and bring them in during the winter. I would say something like a raja puri or goldfinger would be alright but your best bet will be with a dwarf type and probably a dwarf orinoco. if you have grow lights in a basement or a greenhouse you can expand the edible types you could grow in your zone. there are a few hundred edible types but most arnt going to fruit well in our climate

• us_marine
    11 years ago

You can probably find one already grown at a local store. Wether or not it is an edible variety idk. But it will probably be labled either way.

And I think they might still fruit, but I know they will never fully mature. They take more than a year to ripen. Unless brought inside. Even over here they don't fully mature but people just pick them before the first frost and have them ripen inside.

- US_Marine

• turtile
    11 years ago

The bananas sold at the store are triploid so they can not produce viable seed. What you found in the banana is an aborted embryo.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

As the others have said, bananas need a long growing season and also full sun. If you can artificially substitute those then you're in with a chance.