Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Containerized vs. ground in the cold.

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 16:48

I am very surprised by an observation I have made regarding containerized vs. planted Washintonia palms. I still have out tree large ones in containers. They are in tubs on the south side of detached garage--they get full sun most of the day in Winter when it is clear outside. I have two others that are planted next to the house in the ground in western exposure (unprotected at this point). The one in containers are completely undamaged but I see some minor burning on a few leaves on the ones in the ground--opposite of what I would expect. Why is this? P.S. If it is a normal winter, I would eventually have to protect both--but so far, December is mild after a cold November.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Containerized vs. ground in the cold.

Better micro climate?

Any overhead protection is better than none even if they are close.

I have noticed that there is a drift effect to how frost lays
out on a calm clear night-even though the south side seems
like it would be the warmest the east has the best micro-climate.

Once you get cold enough though-that kinda goes away.

My drift theory;

Flying a R/C helicopter in front of the house on a perfectly
calm day-I noticed that even 60' above the ground the
air was moving-in this case out of the north and west to the south.

North worst,west next and then the south,east side was the best-but not the warmest-

o
RE: Containerized vs. ground in the cold.

I think it's a better mircoclimate and the fact that the ground is probably cooler than the pot is since we have not had many penetrating freezes, but we have had warm and sunny days.
My majesty palms are still alive with only some tip damage which is great considering we are almost halfway done with December and November was well below average temperature wise. The lantanas under the majesty palm (they are both in a brick planter by the front of my house which is a southern exposure) are blooming as well as they were during the summer which is thanks to the warm microclimate. My lantanas in the ground have tip burn and are not blooming anymore.
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here