Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Sabal Minor and Southern Magnolia in snow

islandbreeze
11 years ago

As a follow-up to my needle palms in the snow, here are some pics of sabal minor, southern magnolia, bamboo, and yucca elephantipes in the snow. Not sure if the yucca is still alive or not, but it is still green. Enjoy!

Comments (22)

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another, this one is on its second winter in ground.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another, this one is on its second winter in ground.

{{!gwi}}

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clearing off snow to put rose cone covers on, as we're expecting possible 8 degree low friday.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bamboo

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I don't guess Ive ever seen a rose cone for sale but when I looked them up oneline they look like trash cans with holes in the top..is that about right? If I can get some big palms I'll drill some holes in the trash cans and use them like that next year... everything looks to be holding up well. hope mines the same when I brush the snow off the covers. really want to try a blue needle next year and see if its as good as the green

This post was edited by miketropic on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 19:58

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southern magnolia

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yucca elephantipes still green.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rose cone covers are made of white Styrofoam, same thing as a Styrofoam drink cooler, there are small drill holes on the top. They're effective because they insulate really well. I used one on my sabal minor last year with no heat, and it came out of winter with flying colors.
    Blue needle palms are different than rhapidophyllum hystrix, regular needles. Not as cold hardy and can't take as much winter moisture, but they do grow into a tree.

• User
    11 years ago

Island, your yard reminds me of mine right now--snow, bamboo, palms, and S. Magnolias. . Are you in Michigan with all that! Have a lot of yard work here come February--still, post Hurricane Sandy debris pickup. If you don't mind me asking, why is there wire mesh around the bamboo? (I gave a mixed grove of Black, P. aureus, viridis, vivax, and Moso and another of Fargesia and Borinda.)

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha yeah I'm in Michigan. I'll take that as a compliment seeing you're actually a zone warmer. Probably one of the warmest parts of the state, second only to the heat island of Detroit itself. I'm actually on an island, so lake Erie buffers the cold during winter.

The wire mesh was to protect the new bamboo shoots from deer before they hardened when I first planted it. We have a big issue with deer here. They multiply, but never leave the island, and no hunting.
    I don't have an issue anymore since the grove has grown. I also have Fargesia Rufa. The bamboo in the pic is Yellow Groove.

• User
    11 years ago

Deer you say?! I have news for you, I live IN a narrow deer crossing bridging two wooded areas. I see more deer than humans! No hunting in otherwise, dense suburbia but reports of cayote. Never had an issue w. deer eating bamboo at any stage but maybe because my neighbors plant a salad bar of ornamentals more to their liking! BTW, palms are also deer-proof! Southern Magnolias, like all Magnolias, deer LOVE to rut due to smooth bark. To avoid this, I never prune the lower limbs! I may post some snowy palm pics tomorrow before going to the nursery. Cheers.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Although there aren't many completely deer proof plants I believe that bamboo and palms are among the most deer resistant. I have deer problems as well but they've never touched my palms or bamboo, plus the natural bamboo in the woods. My fatsia and arelia are a constant challenge to protect however.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, they love Fatsia. I had to dig mine out of the ground and put it into te garage--where it bloomed ths year. They also LOVE Euonymous and Acuba. My Acuba is tall enough so a bit beyond their reach, but I give up on Euonymous, if I brought the into the house, the deer would still find a way to get to them! Other plants that are quite deer resistent are Yuccas, hardy cacti, rosemary, bay laurel, and any of the ornamental grasses.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found that deer will devour saw palmetto, roses, and in winter yucca right to the ground, Colorado blue spruce, mugo pines, Japanese yews. About the only thing around here that are deer proof are junipers, ornamental grasses, Austrian pine, and bamboo once the grove is big enough.

They will destroy most trees by rutting, especially white pine.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found that deer will devour saw palmetto, roses, and in winter yucca right to the ground, Colorado blue spruce, mugo pines, Japanese yews. About the only thing around here that are deer proof are junipers, ornamental grasses, Austrian pine, and bamboo once the grove is big enough.

They will destroy most trees by rutting, especially white pine.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looks great Ryan

Hopefully you'll get some days to lift the enclosures to dry them out-
    I actually took down my big box that the Fortunei was in,
    it was covered late and got a lot of rain-the walls were dripping
    with moisture inside.

• InsanePalmNinja
    11 years ago

I Just Checked on my palms outside today... still Green. I can't blived you didn't Protect your Palms Those seems over the top for the Poor things.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

my poor magnolia ( a brown beauty or somthing like that ) isnt as big as your but the ice had the limbs almost to the ground I had to go dust it off. I live in the woods but I don't really have any deer problems to much hunting goes on they wont come in the yard anymore. glad to see everything is going well.

What type of Fatsia do you have Lagomar? I just ordered spider web and varigate from the UK yesterday

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If my palms can't handle some cold and snow cover, then I don't really want them anyway. The idea behind having needles and sabal minor in ground is that one day they will not get any protection and be able to survive here longterm with good siting alone.

They are all covered now though, either with rose cone covers(sabals) or burlap(needles) in preparation for very cold weather later this week.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

You will not likely see the damage for a week or two. Then it starts to show. Follow up with us to let us know if they made it.

Acuba are another plant that the deer love! Islandbreeze, I wonder if you have a different predator eating your sawpalms and yuccas? They definitely leave mine alone. miketropic, as far as I know it's just Fatsia japonica. I've attached a pic. It's in "bloom" right now. It stands about 7 feet high. You can see how sparse it is at the bottom where the deer have dined.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

thats a nice fatsia. I try to keep mine a bit more compact and trim the biggest trunk each year. like the way that one spreads though.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Here is the view from the gate side, which the deer have left alone. I kinda like it this way better. Oh well, I suppose it gives it some character.