Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

anyone else dealt with palmswholesale/coconut climber on ebay?

miketropic
11 years ago

I know there was a recent post about the blonde flamethrower palm not producing red leaves but I was interested to see if anyone else has had any dealings with him. He seems to have more palms than anyone I have seen, some I have never seen or heard of before. The prices are resonable for the size since they are usually small with a few leaves. just wondered if anyone else has gotten anything from him. I was wanting to make a purchase in the sping. He has excellant feedback Id just like some first hand knowledge.

Comments (22)

• chadec
    11 years ago

I bought a trachy princeps from him over a year ago. The trachy was much smaller than the one I purchased from north of Florida. It remains healthy to this day. But I was concerned about the poor root system.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thats the kind of info I need. I would alwasy rather go to the source to get a palm but some of them a vary rare and some I didn't even know were avaliable to buy.Just wanted some first hand info before I threw down a bunch of money

• teemon
    11 years ago

I ordered the blonde flamethrowers and some other purple royal palms or something like that. They are all healthy and growing. They threw in extras of each. I wasnt criticizing Coconut Climber, sorry if I came accross that way.

I looked at my flamethrower palms this morning and they all have five fronds each plus a new spear. I was just wondering how long or how many fornds before I start getting red ones.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

The plants are usually small for the money-but good luck finding any/some of the ones he sells somewhere else.

Not the cheapest but good service and reasonable delivery times.

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

I just got a t. nanus from him last week. I thought the one I got was bigger than advertised and overall healthy. It is sitting in my garage (heated) and seems to be growing slowly. I bought a jubaea from him this past summer but it dies about a month later. Can't say if it was doomed before I got it or from my own inexperience with jubaeas.

Click for weather forecast

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks alot guys. your right jim the plants seem small but some of them I have never seen for sale anywhere else. If I don't blow all my tax money on tropicals I'll def be getting a few palms from him then. thanks for the replys

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Larrick

How big is the Nanus?

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

I bought what is supposed to be a filibuster. Im not sure if it actually is. When it arrived it was labelled skyduster, which as far as i know is just another name for robusta. It is a healthy plant with strong roots though.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

There's certainly a lot of very nice palms listed on that Ebay site, quite a few that I'd like to have. Unfortunately our quatantine laws don't allow import of plants. But his prices seem quite high for what look mainly to be newly emerged seedlings.

• fr8train
    11 years ago

I've purchased a few plants from them over the last few years. They were all smaller than what you'd expect for the money, but they're the only ones that carry certain plants, at least that I'm aware of. I'd buy from them more frequently if their prices were more reasonable. :/

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

Jim my t. nanus has about a 2.5 inch "trunk" and stands about 10 inches or so if you stretched the tallest strap leaf up.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

O.K. thanks-

Hard to believe you got one that big....last time
    I got one from him it only had 2 leaves(as in the listing),
    it never grew and ended up kicking the bucket.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

not really what I wanted to hear. I mean I will only buy the really rare and hard to find from him and try to get bigger ones if I can from someone else

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Just as a comparison, I recently bought a Licuala Mapu from my local nursery for $40 (about $US42). The photo below shows the size (I put a ruler against it in the photo). On that Ebay site he's starting bidding for one at $69.95, for only a seedling. He's also selling Caryota zebrina at a smaller size and higher price than what I've paid here.

But what he does have that I haven't been able to get here is Johannesteijmannia altifrons. That and the J. magnifica have been on my wish list for ages.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Definitely "pays" to look around.....I check e-bay every
    so often and have found some pretty good deals,in fact,
    I bought a nice T.Nanus a couple years ago for like $20.

Heres an T.Oreophilus I got for $40 and....only had to
    look through a couple thousands pics to find the Nanus(-:

T.Nanus

• joe_OC
    11 years ago

I strongly suggest you go to: www.floribundapalms.com

Jeff Marcus is the owner. His one gal. palms are most nursery's 5 gal plants.

HTH's,

Joe

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked him out, didn't know it was in hawaii..might be a bit to far to send one for me shipping would be insane if it was a palm of any real good size

• joe_OC
    11 years ago

You would have to order more than one plant. He has a $100 min. Most of the small palms on ebay come from HI originally. A one gallon C. hookeri would cost you $7/palm. A lot better than what you are paying from Ebay...

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

but getting to that 100 mark is the problem..once I get there then I am figuring shipping for 10 or 12 palms. great website and I'll use it if I can but I try to keep it on the east coast if possible california at the max. I'll have a look over it again

• fr8train
    11 years ago

I think I've visited a that website before (floribunda), but it doesn't like they have many odd trachycarpus, sabal, butia, brahea, Trithrinax etc. which is what I usually look for.

Maybe they'll update their list with more of those palms for spring/summer, since that seems like what they do. It's too cold here to order anything now anyway.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

"Most of the small palms on ebay come from HI originally."

Huh?

• InsanePalmNinja
    11 years ago

I have but it takes forever to get the Palms those. So far the Palms I got from him are doing well those.