Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Pics of palm bed before they're covered

islandbreeze
11 years ago

Here's a pic of the bed in full, contains a needle palm, Sabal Birmingham, Butia, and Trachycarpus Nainital.

Comments (11)

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Butia front and center

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sabal Birmingham doesn't look like much, but all green growth you see is new growth from this past summer. This palm did terrible as a potted palm overwintered in the garage last winter and died back to the soil line. I think it was a watering issue..

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Needle palm from Kmart...blue pot special lol.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nainital...

• miketropic
    11 years ago

all of those overwinter for you with little protection in the ground? I thinks Ill try a butia next year..

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Is that the Nainital you had in the pot last year with the flowers?

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike- they're all first year in ground, so this will be their first winter, but 3 of the 4 will only get a rose cone cover over them. The butia is too big for a rose cone, so I'll have to use the burlap/lights/plastic bag method. I have yet to cover them for the winter, but I'll probably do so this coming week, if it ever stops raining. I have to wait for them to dry out.

Jim- Yeah, that's the same Nainital that was in the pot. Turns out, when I planted it, the roots were over 2 1/2 feet long, so my hole had to be a lot deeper than I originally planned. It is growing, but being in a pot obviously stunted its growth. Yours is much larger for being purchased from around the same time. I'm sure it'll take off like crazy next summer though.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Heck yea it will!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

its been raining here for a week solid so I know the feeling. some people down the road have these tiny little hoop houses over there 2 palms I wish I knew where they got them. dosent look like a garage project so I figure they bought them someplace and they seem to be working really well.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, where do you live?

• miketropic
    11 years ago

In Northern KY right on the Ohio river. my acual little micro climate is said to be a zone 6B and that seems about right almost never get in the teens and I haven't seen single digits in years. I just bought this home so I am really diggin in tryin to get new palms and everything set where I want it so I can keep them growing awhile

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus