Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of palm bed before they're covered

Posted by islandbreeze 6b MI (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 21:00

Here's a pic of the bed in full, contains a needle palm, Sabal Birmingham, Butia, and Trachycarpus Nainital.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of palm bed before they're covered

Butia front and center

o

Sabal Birmingham doesn't look like much, but all green growth you see is new growth from this past summer. This palm did terrible as a potted palm overwintered in the garage last winter and died back to the soil line. I think it was a watering issue..

o

Needle palm from Kmart...blue pot special lol.

o

Nainital...

o

all of those overwinter for you with little protection in the ground? I thinks Ill try a butia next year..

o

Is that the Nainital you had in the pot last year with the flowers?

o

Mike- they're all first year in ground, so this will be their first winter, but 3 of the 4 will only get a rose cone cover over them. The butia is too big for a rose cone, so I'll have to use the burlap/lights/plastic bag method. I have yet to cover them for the winter, but I'll probably do so this coming week, if it ever stops raining. I have to wait for them to dry out.

Jim- Yeah, that's the same Nainital that was in the pot. Turns out, when I planted it, the roots were over 2 1/2 feet long, so my hole had to be a lot deeper than I originally planned. It is growing, but being in a pot obviously stunted its growth. Yours is much larger for being purchased from around the same time. I'm sure it'll take off like crazy next summer though.

o

Heck yea it will!

o

its been raining here for a week solid so I know the feeling. some people down the road have these tiny little hoop houses over there 2 palms I wish I knew where they got them. dosent look like a garage project so I figure they bought them someplace and they seem to be working really well.

o

Mike, where do you live?

o

In Northern KY right on the Ohio river. my acual little micro climate is said to be a zone 6B and that seems about right almost never get in the teens and I haven't seen single digits in years. I just bought this home so I am really diggin in tryin to get new palms and everything set where I want it so I can keep them growing awhile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here