Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topher2006

Majesty palms dead ?

topher2006
17 years ago

I planted majesty palms in the ground here in ar zone 8 a

and Yes i knew better when i did it, but that's water under the bridge.. I knew they would lose all their fronds and they did, they have just about turned to mush . Anyways they didn't cost me very much and they got about 6 ft this summer

will they come back ? Do i need to just level them with the top of the ground or what ? They are still green in the middle but the outsides have turned brownish - white and very mushy They have went through 30-20 temps ...

pine bark over the top of the roots .

Comments (15)

• palmfan
    17 years ago

Do not level these palms in the hope of them resprouting from their roots. Majesty Palms are a solitary trunked, tropical species that in not capable of growing after the death or mechanical removal of the growing point [meristem]. They are almost certainly dead, especially if the tops are mushy. The Majesty Palm is NOT frost resistant. At least you had them as annuals. You have a fairly good chance of being able to grow the spectacular Butia (Pindo] palm in your zone. This is a nice, tropical looking feather leaf palm that is MUCH hardier than the Majesty.

• topher2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot i kind of thought they were dead...

• guapogardener
    17 years ago

Majesty Palm did not even live for long in my zone 9 garden. I even covered it during 32 to 31 degree weather and it just basically sat there and declined. I must also add that mine was growing in full sun without irrigation and they seem to prefer mostly shade and moisture. All of the places that I have seen them doing their best has been in shade by a brook or pond.

In the last three years of working at a nursery in Central Florida I have NEVER recommended to my clients that they plant Majesty Palm except if they have those ideal conditions; and most of them who have planted them in dry, sunny locations have observed what I have.

Even with watering by hand during drought my Majesty Palm suffered. And I had bought it 9.99 at a big box store with 7 foot fronds!

I agree with Palm Fan--grow Butia capitata instead. It is a very hardy, pinnate-leafed palm that will thrive in your zone. They do not grow any faster than the Majesty Palm, but they will survive your cold weather without a flinch!

You can also grow Trachycarpus--Windmill Palm.

I would look into reading the book, by Betrock, called Cold Hardy Palms. It is GREAT! It will open your eyes to what palms can be grown farther north than Miami.

:)
    Mark

• topher2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great info mark !

• guapogardener
    17 years ago

You're welcome!

Mark

• beau99
    16 years ago

I live in NW Louisiana, and I planted a 4 ft. Majesty palm about 4 years ago, expecting it to die in winter. The leaves did die, but it comes back quickly every year!

• southern_il_boy
    16 years ago

Here's one of my majest palms. I move it indoors about the end of October or first frost which ever comes first. I have 2 in pots and they do well under the oak trees in summer with lots of water. In winter I water them about once a week and put them by a window that gets direct winter sunlight. They do great year round.

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

FYI- Majesty Palms are popular because Florida nurseries can grow them fast, from seed, stretched tall under greenhouse/shadehouse conditions, and fed through their watering systems with a constant-feed. I live just N of St Pete, and any more north of me, they are toast. In my sheltered microclimate yard (coast)they do ok. In St. Pete, surrounded by water on both sides, they thrive! They are HUNGRY palms, and Madagascar's soil is nutrient-rich which is one of the problems. I recommend NEVER growing them unless you want to constantly replace them. Triangles are a little more "safe", less demanding (Dypsis decaryi)I have a 30 footer in my front yard> Greg in New Port Richey FL z9b/10a

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gregsytch
    I am so glad you gave that info about Dypsis Decaryi
    asw it is a palm i have wanted but wasn't sure of thanks !

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

tOPHER- Triangles are still solid 9b palms. They will freeze dead if exposed to sub-freezing temps for any more than 4-6 hours. Mine showed damage in the late 90's during a freeze event here with 27F low and winds blowing, below freezing event for 7 hours (*unusual for us). A few weeks later, haze burn was on most leaves. Cut off, the trunk flushed by summer beautifully. Stay with the Trachys, Chams, Sabals, etc. Triangles die even in the county north of me (Brooksville FL) Greg ***"If you want to grow crown palms move to zone 10" LOL

• palms69
    16 years ago

Sorry to pop in unanounced.

I am a palm collector who imports seeds from around the world to germinate, (as a hobby).

Just wanted to leave you with a helpful link w/ added pics of well known cold hardy palms, with temps & zones.

Here is a link that might be useful: cold hardy palms

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Palms 69
    A very nice site indeed lots of valuable info !

gregsytch
    Yes i know all about zones i grow most of mine in pots : )
    By the way i was just in tampa about a week ago and seen
    some gorgeous palm trees !

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

We have had an unusual string of mild winters without major freezes, and the expansion of plants is noticeable. I have seen Coconuts thriving in St Pete and Clearwater (near water)and other beautiful specimens I would otherwise never think of. I have a Mango Tree that is HUGE, its a shade tree full of fruit at least 30'x30'..but alas, it is messy and will come down soon. I will plant...what else... a palm there! Greg in 104F heat index today

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

I have one big triangle in a pot, they do great!

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cool orchiddude that and a queen is on my list next !