Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_m_gw

Plants after move (bad results)

Hunter_M
12 years ago

Well, the good news is that all of my little plants were fine because I had them with me in the car. But two of my favorite plants which had to ride in our trailer dont look so good. This really saddens me.

Here is my banana tree:

Before:

After:

My coconut (my favorite plant):

Before:

After:

That was my favorite plant, so that one was the most special to me. Is there anything I can do for these plants?

Thanks.

-Hunter

Comments (11)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I personally think they look like they saw some cold weather. Velutinas get brown easily so it may have only seen temperatures in the mid 30s for it to get that brown.
    Im not sure what will happen to your coconut palm if temperatures got below freezing, but it looks to me like yours is in no danger of dying. Just cut off all the brown parts and it will look okay.
    You shouldnt worry about the banana at all because in my experience, most bananas (especially velutinas) have a hard time looking good indoors by the time February comes, so the leaves are often cut off anyways. All my banana plants get their leaves cut off when they go inside, but they look good again just a month after spending time outdoors.

The banana will definitely grow all its leaves back and the coconut palm will too (just a bit slower than the banana). My coconut palm has seen bad days (its looked much worse than yours does), but it always manages to look nice again once summer comes.

I dont think there is anything you can do right now except cut off the bad looking parts to make it look a little nicer and then just waiting until spring.

Hope your liking KY!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    12 years ago

I agree with tropicalzone7, they do like they seen some below 32f weather or near freezing weather. They also look like they seen alot of wind. They should recover by summer, however, the coconut might still have some damaged fronds. That all depends on how fast your coconut palm grows.

- US_Marine

• bahia
    12 years ago

They look like you moved these two outside the confines of the car/pick-up truck's cab, and they got frazzled by the wind. I see this so often around here, people thinking they can put indoor plants, (or any plants, really), in the back of the truck and not lay them down protected from wind damage. Your plants will simply have to outgrow the damaged foliage. This doesn't look like cold damage to me, but poor thinking about how to move your plants.

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, I guess you don't use much common sense, because laying a plant down will only result in dirt spilling all over the place,DUH. I did the best I could with that. I've never moved plants before so you can't expect me to be perfect at it. Jeez, a little less RUDE next time, I'm not perfect.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I hauled some large branched Cactus in the back of a truck
    once...thinking they didn't have any leaves(etc)to blow
    around,I wasn't to concerned abut them.........
    didn't think about the branches rubbing together...whoops(-:

Once you have seen what any outside(of a car:-) exposure does
    to plants,you have learned a valuable lesson (-:

I am not familiar with the bloom cycle on that Banana plant
    but if they have flowered the leaves are done eventually anyway-no?

Cool Coconut(-:

Click for weather forecast

• bahia
    12 years ago

Well the next time you do it, you'll hopefully have learned something. You could have crumpled up newspaper or grocery bags and stuffed them over the soil, and using packing tape to seal it to the edges of the pot to hold it in place before laying them down. Or wrapped a plastic garbage bag over the pot and soil and tied it off against the trunks. How is that for common sense?

Driving across town with soft leaved plants exposed to the wind, (and I'm willing to bet you didn't keep the speed below 15 miles an hour to try and limit wind damage), would have been another alternative.

It amazes me to see examples almost daily of people moving indoor plants in the back of a truck or sticking out the window while driving down the freeway or around town, and they think they won't suffer damage from the wind. I don't see how it's rude to say you might have known better, or that other people were off base in thinking that this was due to cold damage.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Sometimes insult is perceived while/when dealing with injury.

Most of us don't know each other on these forums,etc,
    not always easy to interpret someones intent....even when you do.

Q.

Hunter,are the Bananas that have bloomed done anyway?-on top.
    If so,not a big deal as they will be sending up pups,no?

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim- One has bloomed, the other has not. So maybe one will send a pup.
    bahia- these were the rude parts: "I see this so often around here, people thinking they can put indoor plants, (or any plants, really), in the back of the truck and not lay them down protected from wind damage." "This doesn't look like cold damage to me, but poor thinking about how to move your plants."
    You really should have been nicer even if thats how you thought. O_o

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Well said Jim. The anonymous nature of the web allows people to.have less tact than in person during a conversation. Also allows for misinterpretation on the other end.

Hunter I lost my coconut palm during my move from Suburban DC to my Southern Delaware Beach House. It had thrived in a sunny south facing glass wall in DC. I didn't want it going in the moving van in January because it would have been in storage for a few days. I took it in my SUV for the 3 hr drive, but it was so big and I had so much stuff I had to trim a few fronds off. Worse, I had to place it in the beach house on its own for a few months while my condo was for sale (my realtor suggested I remove my jungle to make the condo appear bigger and neater. I had to turn down the heat a bit during the week to save on energy while I was back in DC during the week or traveling for work.

The condo sold, but the coconut didn't survive. I think yours has a better chance of survival. Ignore the ratty leaves if they are still green and feeding the plant. Keep it in a warm sunny window (maybe even wrap the pot in an old blanket to keep the roots warm. Keep watered regularly but not wet. Lots of misting to keep humidity up. Good luck in your new place.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I agree, the bad thing about the internet, is you really dont know how people mean to say things when they type things down.

But either way, they are at their new home now and the damage will be forgiven and forgotten as soon as they get to see some nice warm weather! The one that bloomed wont make any new leaves so it wont recover, but velutinas die to the ground very quickly after blooming anyways and send pups up just as fast.
    When my velutina bloomed, the mother plant died within 2 months after blooming and the pup it made grew 2 feet tall (the height of the mother) during that time. So the mother velutinas are very good at replacing themselves with their pups without being noticed!

Good luck!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Well Said Jim, WS, Alex...

Its so hard to get the feel of what someone is saying,

Bahia,

I know you were just trying to give some constructive advice. Most of us have done this before at one time or another, so this is how we learn...

You are right about people driving down the road with their new purchases swaying in the wind. We people who know and love our plants and trees are more aware of the damage. The others who just but to buy and hopefully get their trees to stayy alive are the ones who do this without thinking. LOL...

Hunter,

Your trees have suffered just a little, but im sure with some help like the above posters say..they will do just fine.

Dont worry about the damage to the fronds, they will be fine once the summer arrives and new ones will replace the old and you can cut the old ones off. I would leave them alone and do as Wetsuitor says and protect them from shock right now.

I hope you have settled in your new home!!

Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Laura