Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

Sunny Isles Beach, FL

bradleyo_gw
11 years ago

Just north of North Miami Beach. Had a chance to go to Miami Beach Botanical Gardens where most of these pics are from, other than a few beach shots from where we stayed. If you're ever in Miami Beach, make sure to stop at the these gardens, it's small but it's free. Right across the street from the convention center.

The kids had a good time!

The Holocaust Memorial next door.

Comments (18)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

to much to even comment on but that rainbow eucalyptus is just beautiful. wish they were more frost tolerant and id have one

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's the first one I've seen that I recall. I'd love to have any euc grow here though!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

from all I have read there pretty easy to get ahold of and very hard to keep alive. basically the only place in the US people have any success with them is around miami dade and the keys any further north and they can't really take the slight chill.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Great pics-the kids look like they are having fun too~

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

For a place with supposed poor soil conditions, you sure can grow just about anything under the sun in southern Florida.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

Im sure the soil is well ammended but that south florida climate is good for just about everything. any idea what type that is in the picture before the Grandis palms, looks kinda silver with no trunk..like to see if I could grow one around here.

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Wow beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, Mike, I think that palm is a pritchardia, but that's just a guess. I'm terrible with tropical palm ID's.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I beleive your right I found a picture of it that looked very similar..well add fiji fan palm to my want list

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Prichardia pacifica won't tolerate temps anywhere near freezing. And average monthly temps for the coldest months are preferably no lower than 22C. But there are other Prichardias that are a bit more cold tolerant, most of those that come from Hawaii.

• User
    11 years ago

If it is Pritchardia (could be), it's not Pacifia. That one is a hypertropical and doubt South Florida would support it over time. I have tried that species a few times w.o. luck. However, If you do want to add a Pritchardia to your collection, I highly suggest P. hildebrandii. It is a robust grower, cool tolerant for a Pritchardia and attractive. I can post a pic later. Mine overwinters in the basement under lights and spends te rest of the year outside where it seems to appreciate some shading from the hottest sun. Got it off eBay.

• User
    11 years ago

Okay, here is a pIc of my P. hildebrandii taken in summer. The potential down side for the species for northern growers is that they do get BIG, so you will need the space.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! The gardens look really beautiful there, whenever I get the chance to go to Miami, I will definitely make sure that I visit them!
    The Rainbow Eucalyptus is beautiful! I saw them in San Diego, so they can be grown in some places in the US other than southern Florida, but they are really frost tender for a euc.
    Really nice Pritchardia nj! How long have you had it for?
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• User
    11 years ago

Had it a couple of years. I had one before but lost it due to missed winter watering. They are not dfficult--no more so than a Chinese fan, but as I said, they do get to large proportions after a few seasons outside. It does grow in the winter too but more slowly. The species Pacifica is much more difficult as it demands high annual humidity and I have not had luck with that one over time.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

though am no expert on palms, the palms in the above photos are likelY :
    1.- coconut
    3. Royals and Dypsis decaryi
    4. Royals, Dictospermas, Dypsis decaryi, bottle palms
    5. Pritchardia thurstonii or pacifica (no more tropical than Licuala grandis below) and Livistona rotundifoias (now Saribus rotundifolius), Sabal palmetto and no idea what the smallest palms are
    6. Eucalyptus deglupta, a tree that does quite well around here in southern California, though not quite as lush looking in the foliage than it does in S Florida or Hawaii... trunk very similar, though it is rarely wet here like it there
    7. Phoenix canariensis and Copernicia baileyana in the background, and Ptychosperma sp. and Copernicia alba in the foreground
    8. Copernicia sp.
    9. Copernicia fallense or gigas

1. Licuala grandis
    2. Copernicia macroglossa
      15.... not sure... looks like several Veitchias planted so that they arch outwardly, but could be a suckering palm
    3. Bottle palm
      17, Accoellorhaphe
    4. Royals
  • Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago
    1. I'm not entirely sure either, being far from familiar with palms, but I have seen Foxy Lady Palms here in Florida planted similarly and with a similar appearance, though the fronds were more frost-bitten. Unfortunately the best pictures I can find of this palm, Wodyettia biffurcata x Veitchia joannis, are on a site that GardenWeb does not allow links from.
  • stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

The Euc is hardy to zone 10a maybe 9b in California. Plenty of large ones in soucal and in some collector gardens in the SF bay area.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Quote: "The species Pacifica is much more difficult as it demands high annual humidity and I have not had luck with that one over time."

It's more the temperature with the pacifica rather than the humidity. It's not a rainforest tree and is okay with a dry period through cooler winter months.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH