Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Updated pics of new protection method of 16' outdoor Trachy

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 22:29

I took several of your suggestions to heart and further protected my 16' Windmill palm.

Picture prior to added protection with two layers of bubblewrap with a heating cable in between each layer. Thermostat turns on the cable at 20 degrees and off at 30 degrees:

Photobucket

Picture after adding fiberglass insulation batting to the trunk, and covering everything with black plastic:

Photobucket

Who knows if it will survive being mummified all winter. Oh well, at least I tried!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Updated pics of new protection method of 16' outdoor Trachy

Good call on adding extra protection. Better safe than sorry. That method does look much less complex than the styrofoam box method, hopefully it will work just as good or close to it. Good luck.

o

Thanks, islandbreeze! I guess at this point... expect the worst, and hope for the best!

o

Sure hope it makes it through-the only issue I see
is that thermocube,if it stays below freezing for a long
time-at that temp range(20/30)may not allow it to ever
get above freezing.

We can pray for another mild winter though,right?

Best of luck to you-

BTW

How are those Ensete doing these days?

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Looking great Kevin!!!

Best of Luck to you!!

Laura

o

Hey Kevin looks great -temps for thermostat would be better from 28F-45F but an experiment is just that--- trying and waiting to see what happens. I am praying for you
All the Best
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here