Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fr8train307

Pics of some of my potted palms...

fr8train
11 years ago

I haven't really posted any pictures in quite some time, so I thought I'd snap some pictures today, now that I'm home for the winter...

Ebay princeps, I ordered this one from a seller in the southeastern US about 2 years ago, maybe more, I'm starting to lose track of time. I have two princeps from him and they're my bluest, unfortunately I haven't seen him selling anything since then..

From left to right: Chamaerops humilis var. argentea, which I received as strap leaf a few years ago, and my two princeps from the southeastern Ebay seller.

More pics coming...

Comments (12)

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This palm was sold to me as takil, though I'm not entirely sure that's what it is. At any rate, unlike all of my other palms it's been "creeping" sideways, rather than growing up. I actually have two and they both seem to grow in the same way.

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are my two large wagnerianus, and my Trithrinax acanthocoma, which I bought as a tiny strap leaf a few years ago..

Some of my seedinglings...

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my larger palms grown from seed, Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis...

Sabal x texensis grown from seed...

• wilki
    11 years ago

Very nice collection of exotic palms. Do you have enough space for all those seedlings as they grow larger? Perhaps the sideways growth of the T. takil is a product of growing indoors?

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks wilki, I actually don't really. I've given away a lot of palms over the last few years. If it was my own house that I was growing them in I wouldn't, but I have to keep them with my parents until I get a real house. They've actually been very tolerant considering how many plants I have/had. The palms will be back outdoors in late March.

The plan is to move somewhere where I can keep my plants outdoors year round, at which point I'll have a few large established rare palms. If that doesn't work out I may sell or give some of them away, and keep what I can.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Those palms are beautiful! You definitely seem to have a lot of patience with them. Those T. princeps really look like they are getting big and I like the blue color to them. They have been on my want list for a while but I still havent found one nice enough for a good price.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

fr8train that is a very nice collection you have there. You ought to be proud. That is one of the best and healthiest s. brazorias I've seen in a while. And that "takil"...I haven't seen a creep like that since the last time I was at a rest stop bathroom. My question though is do your plants sit in a south facing window?

Click for weather forecast

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Very nice collection. Love the waggies. The creeping trunk is actually a characteristic of either takil or nainital, if that palm is actually nainital, as many palms sold as takil have been said to be.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

May just be a Takil-where did you get it from?

One issue is that the trunk fibers are a little loose to be Takil but lets keep an eye on it-creeping trunk is an Alpine
    trait of palms that grow in the mountains-it is an anchoring mechanism in theory to keep palms from being severed by frost heaving.

Beautiful palms-esp that Princeps,North of Florida palms would be my guess on the seller....great collection!!!!!!!!!

I just checked on my Princeps that is planted outside and gave the spear a little tug-looks beautiful in it's enclosure.(-:

Great job Fr8train!

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tropicalzone7:
    Thank you. I don't know how frequently you check ebay, but if a seller from the southeast is selling princeps, it's the real deal. There's a more common seller who stocks princeps, but they're much greener. They're nice too, I have two from him that I didn't photograph.
    Coldplant is a good source if you're looking for fresh seeds. I had a very high germination rate with his seeds.

earthworm73:
    Thanks for the kind words. The creeping really is something else. They're the only palms of mine that have grown that way. Unfortunately there are no south facing windows in the house, as that's where the garage is. Some palms are more resistant than others, but all tend to suffer a bit during the winters by the way of the leaf ends turning brown. They all bounce back once they're brought back outdoors. Over time I've gotten better at timing watering, and how frequently I use fungicide and bug spray. My parents have also started to utilize an electric space heater for the living room, and the spare bedroom where many of my seedlings are is kept that's closed and therefore much cooler. The palms in that room tend to do the best, the cooler temperatures may make them more dormant.

islandbreeze:
    Thank you, and I think you may be right. They may very well not be takil, but nainital, or some other trachy. I've seen photos of potted T. oreophilus and geminisectus that creep similarly to my mystery trachy. I'm not at all familiar with nainital, but if they're known for growing this way that may be what I have, like you said.

• fr8train
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Jim!
    Regarding the takil: I bought both of them a few years ago, so I'm not totally sure, but I think it's the guy who's currently selling a waggie on ebay (weyardsale). It's the same seller I bought a few of my wagnerianus from. I think you're right about the princeps seller, North of Florida sounds right. I haven't seen him list any princeps in a while, but then there was a gap of time that I didn't check regularly. It's good to hear your palms are doing well. I took a long break from checking up on these forum, and it's incredible how big and healthy your palms are.

• hatemajestypalms
    10 years ago

Does Chamaerops do a good job indoors for you? I've heard it needs lots of light. Do you think I could grow it indoors in Minnesota? What are its lighting requirements? The minnesota winter sun is pretty weak, I haven't even gotten a burn its so weak. So taking that into consideration, would it be a good indoor palm?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm