Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Seed Germination setup

Posted by Hazey_Matt none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 23:56

This is my little set up for germinating seeds.
hopefully in a few months i have some seedlings.
ive got this setup on a timer just to try keep the temperature up at night because its getting to summer here in melbourne.
I had all this stuff lying around the house so the only thing that cost me money was the christmas lights which were $4.
It gets a good temperature going when its on with the lid so lets hope it works

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Seed Germination setup

looks warm. what you got in there? Washingtonia, Butia and Phoenix?

o

Archontophoenix maxima, Canary Island Date, Butia Capitata and im taking a shot with the Jubaea chilensis.
Hopefully i can get a couple of each. Fingers crossed

o

Dude be careful I don't think jubes require high heat to germinate.

o

If it works let me know mine still are just sitting..im about done with trying to germ palm seeds I'll just buy a seedling and act like I started it.

o

Hi
I've had fairly good luck just using a clay pot with coir .I find the seedlings are stronger when they finally do germinate. had the best luck with seeds that I collected rather than purchased.. Most frustrating was sealing wax and joey Not only take a long time but very susceptible to fungus . Good luck, palm seeds are fun to work with BUT very frustrating lol gary

o

I use moist perlite in plastic food containers and just stack them on the hot water heater. Usually get sprouts in two weeks, depending on the seeds.

o

That's a really cool idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here