Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of passiflora is this?!

Posted by jnetti z9 CA/USA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 19:22

I purchased an unusual (to me) passiflora from the local university's nursery-- the guy didn't know what it was named.
It has a bit different leaf than I have seen-- 3 part, very pointy and well defined (sorry photo not too sharp) and tiny flowers-- about one and a half inches-- the only one on the plant is past its prime-- I was told they are blueish. The fruit is pea sized and green.
I have tried searching the web without much success.
Thanks!!! jeannette

Image link: What type of passiflora is this?! (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of passiflora is this?!

OK-- to answer my own question I think this is a suberosa, based on a more intense web search.
If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.
Thanks-- jeannette

o
RE: What type of passiflora is this?!

I also believe it is a variety of P. suberosa. It is also known as the corky passion vine because the main stem becomes light colored and kind of corky in appearance. Mine has more white flowers, yours seem kind of greenish. The fruits on my vine eventually turn purple-black when ripe. They are minuscule. Another trait of this species is that the shape of the leaves is amazingly variable you can see many different shape leaves in the same vine. I read somewhere that they though it was a survival strategy of this plant to trick possible predator that would look for a particular shaped leaf to eat, so it would escape their hungry mouths!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here